Five

~Soulmate~

LAIELA

I staggered back up, half expecting to be pushed right back up the tree, instead he was nowhere to be seen but I knew he was close by. I limped quickly some distance away, trying to find the direction of where I wanted to go but I knew he would be back. Soon.

After some moments, I gave up and tried to be the most logical I could be in this state. The only idea I had at the moment was hiding. In a tree. I didn't really want to but I had to if I was going to survive. Spotting a tall tree, I climbed up the best I could in the numb pain and perched on a large branch as I held on for dear life. I knew it was a stupid decision but it was all I had at the moment.

Not long after, the rustling of fallen leaves alerted me of something or rather someone approaching, and instinctively I knew who it was. I tried my best to regulate my breathing as his form approached. The pounding of my heart was not something I could control but I hoped it wouldn't give me away.

I could feel the shivers, more now as I watched him move like the predator he was. He came right underneath my tree and I stopped breathing altogether, unmoving, cautious a simple movement could give me away. He lingered a bit then stalked off. I let out my breath slowly, in puffs, still unmoving.

I let many minutes go by before I climbed down carefully. The moment I got down, the shivers began and I could feel a presence behind me. Slowly I turned to face him and I was a little flustered by what I saw.

He stood there, watching me, stark naked. I looked directly at his face, forcing my gaze to stay there. I backed away slowly from the tree and him little by little and I noticed he took a step towards me.

"Don't come close. Stay where you are," I said hoarsely.

But he ignored me completely and stalked closer and closer in little steps. I moved back with every step he took towards me. He watched me unwaveringly with his head tilted just slightly to the left.

"What do you want from me?! Why won't you say anything?!," I said louder, getting angry now.

I wanted to run and maybe, just maybe, I could make it. But just as the thought came to me so did a root come behind. And the only thought that my mind found as I fell this time was,

Fuck.

My head struck the ground, hard and I was too dazed to get up fast enough. I knew I would have the world's worst headache the next morning if I managed to survive. In the pain and thoughts, I had forgotten about my situation momentarily and when I finally became aware, I was too late.

Soon I was staring into pools of grey ice that flashed pure black all of a sudden. I didn't even have time to gasp as his head moved to my neck and the sudden pain came. Strong and startling. Honestly I didn't know whether I screamed or not.

~

ROMAN

"So what happened?"

I looked up at him from the documents I was reviewing and asked,

"What do you mean by 'what happened'?"

"I mean what happened with your mate?"

"And what does anything relating to my mate have to do with you, Austin?"

"Aww. I'm just asking. Don't get all grumpy about it. I mean you came back with her in your arms after the Hunt but she was unconscious."

"So...?," I said as I sat back in the chair and quirked a brow at him.