Nine

ROMAN

Staring down at it on the hospital bed once again made me feel somewhat annoyed and irritated. She managed to get attacked and almost killed and Axel was wreaking havoc in my mind. What annoyed me the most is the fact that it felt uncomfortable seeing her pale on the hospital bed.

The mate bond which had fully cemented made it that when one half was injured, the other became more attentive but that's one thing I was not planning to do. She could jump off a cliff for all I cared.

I wasn't surprised by the jab of pain I felt in my head that followed the thought. I could feel Axel's easiness and I rolled my eyes at that. Someone walked into the room and I didn't have to look up to see who it was.

"What really happened, Roman?"

"I told you already, Audrey."

"Alpha Roman, this is important. Keeping the details isn't going to help."

I looked up at Audrey now and she stared back at me with enquiring eyes. I shrugged then looked down at the human again.

"Roman. You said when you got there, she was on the ground and there were vampyrs. One ran and the two had been coming to but you knocked them out. But yet she's alive with no puncture marks anywhere, just bruises on her chin and neck but she's out cold. I'm guessing it was a shock, but why?", Audrey spoke in a professional way that got to me.

I sighed in annoyance and irritation. At myself, mostly. I just couldn't understand how it was this was possible.

"When I got there, there were three vampyrs. Two had been knocked out as you said but before that, they had been thrown against the trees, very hard from what I could tell, several meters away from the human. The other one who ran also had been thrown against a tree so he couldn't have been the one to do it. And she was at the centre of it all, unharmed," I said looking up at the ceiling, trying to make sense of this all.

Audrey was quiet so I looked her way. She was thinking and when she looked directly at me, I knew she had come to the conclusion I had. I wanted to groan out loud. She voiced out what had been nagging me at the back of my mind since I arrived from the scene.

"Roman. I don't think she is human."

I let out of breath.

"If she isn't, then what is she? She seems human to me. Smells like it too", I spoke aloud, exasperated.

"Relax, Roman. Maybe asking what happened will give us a clue on what is going on. When she's awake will do that."

"Like hell, we will."

"Roman, she's your mate. Communication is a given. I guess that you do not want to rely on anyone after what happened in the past but this is a mate we are talking about. Your other half. So drop this tough exterior act you're putting up and deal with it."

I gritted my teeth.

"We are going to wait until she is awake. I am going to leave. To check on Alou. You can leave but if you do not come back within this day, I'll personally drag your ass back."

I grunted.

It wasn't like I had a choice in the matter anyway. I was going to come back whether I liked it or not. The mate bond wouldn't allow us to be away from each other for long. Otherwise, Axel would go on an uncontrollable rampage and only the Goddess knows what would happen then.

Soon after, Audrey left, leaving me in the room with the silent breathing of the human. I watched her for a while more. The feeling to protect what belonged to me as overwhelming as possible. I couldn't escape it but I had worked too damn hard on my own to start relying on someone else.