Chapter 2 - Claire

One second, I was chatting with my friend about the latest school fads, and the next I was being forced on to the bus floor by a masked man with lengthy arms and a crooked smile. I nearly gagged when my face touched some 3 month old gum. "This floor is NOT where I want to be right now", I thought to myself.

The man overtook the bus driver and forced his way into the driver's seat. He exclaimed, "You may return to your seats. However, If I catch one of you little beasts mouthing words or waving a gesture to a passerby, you will be the first kid on my kill list." I shuddered at the thought of what this could mean.

The man, which we would later learn was named Jakob, said we were traveling to an undisclosed area, so we wouldn't be seeing our parents anytime soon.

The sidekick of Jakob, Traci, made her way through the isle, collecting everyone's backpacks and cell phones so that we had no way to contact the outside world.

We spent the next 45 minutes on the bus, traveling out of the city and into the countryside. No one dared to speak a peep. "My mom must be worried sick by now", I thought to myself. After an hour of gut wrenching riding on the bus in the hot weather, we pulled over into a deserted roadside gas station. Two large, white vans were the only things in the parking lot. I didn't know it at the time, but the next day and a half would be the worst of my life.