𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓

Chapter Twenty Four,
Beside the Dying Fire

"Rick and Shane still ain't back?" Daryl inquired as he, Chloe, and Glenn returned.

"No," Lori informed him.

"We heard a shot."

"Maybe they found Randall."

"We found him."

"Is he back in the shed?" Maggie asked.

"He's a walker," Daryl revealed.

"Did you find the walker that bit him?" Hershel inquired.

"No, the weird thing is he wasn't bit," Glenn said.

"His neck was broke," Daryl added just before they heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Logan?" Chloe gasped as she turned to find her twin's fiancé standing by the door with bruises all over his face.

"I told you to rest," Hershel scolded him. "You're gonna open the stitches."

"I'm fine," Logan insisted.

"What happened?" Chloe asked, approaching as she pulled him into a small hug causing him to wince in pain.

"Come on, sit down," Hershel said.

"Shane must've done that," Logan said.

"Did what?" Daryl asked.

"Rendall," Logan explained.

"He told us everything," said Hershel. "He freed Rendall, taking him into the woods. He told Logan he was leaving this group. Logan followed, and Shane did this to him trying to stop him."

"I knew it. I knew it!" Chloe hissed.

"Makes sense now. Shane and Randall's tracks were right on top of each other. And Shane ain't no tracker, so he didn't come up behind him. They were together," Daryl analyzed.

Logan's POV

I followed Shane as he made his way to the barn. He hadn't informed anyone, and his behaviour was odd.

Positioning myself as far from the barn as possible, I observed Shane escorting Rendall out. They continued walking until they vanished into the woods. I decided to follow.

"Shane! Stop! What are you doing?" I shouted after him.

"Shit," I heard him mutter before he turned around to face me.

"Have you told the others?" I asked.

"I'm leaving," he said. "Joining Rendall's group. I'm done with all this."

"You can't just-"

"Don't tell me what to do!" Shane said as she pushed me back.

"Get your hands off me!" I said angrily.

"You wanna do this now? Huh?"

"So what you're gonna bailout. Leave us alone? What about your friend Rick?"

Shane punched me across the face, prompting an immediate response from me. I wasn't sure what it was all about; it happened so fast.

"What's wrong with you?" I spat.

Rendall tried to run, but Shane grabbed him by his shirt, pushing him to the ground. I attempted to attack Shane while he was distracted, but he stabbed my thigh with a knife. As I fell to the ground, he seized Rendall and continued on his path.