𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓

Chapter Thirty Four,
Temper

"The tombs outside the boiler room are overrun again," Glenn reported as they returned, drenched in blood from dispatching a horde of walkers. "That whole section had been cleared." 

"It's a steady stream of walkers," Adam added.

"We're wasting time," Chloe urged, addressing Adam and Glenn. "The Governor is supposedly on the way, and we're stuck in here with walkers, trapped between a rock and a hard place."

"For the last time, running is not an option," Glenn insisted.

"Glenn, if the tombs have filled up again, it may just be a matter of time before they push in here," Hershel noted.

"Or until some fence gives way," Beth chimed in.

"What if one of those herds is passing through? Or settled? Can't handle that with just a few of us," Carol contributed.

"Okay. All right, we need-- we just need to scout the far side of the prison. Find out what's going on," Glenn proposed.

"You're going out there?" Brad questioned.

"Take a car and make it quick," Glenn decided.

"I'll drive," Axel volunteered.

"No, you stay here. Help with the fortifications. I'll take Chloe," Glenn said. "I'll be back in a minute, get ready."

"Glenn! You're not going back to Woodbury, are you?" Hershel called after the two as he followed them outside.

"No," Glenn assured him. "We're just going out there."

"How can you possibly think that's a good idea?"

"I can't just sit on my hands."

"You went on a simple formula run and got the crap beat out of you. Maggie was attacked," Hershel stated.

"Are you saying this is my fault?"

"No."

"I did what I could," Glenn defended himself to the old man.

"I know you did," Hershel began. "So does Maggie. She's one of the two people most precious to me in this world. I trust you with her life. I still do. This rage is going to get you killed. It might even get the people around you hurt too. You're risking your life and Chloe's now for what? She's been there too and almost got kidnapped."

"I'll be fine," Chloe interjected. "We have to find that breach."

"With Daryl gone and Rick wandering Crazytown, I'm the next in charge," Glenn asserted.

"What are you proving?"

Without any response, Glenn walked toward the truck and got into the driver's seat.

"Keep an eye on him and be careful," Hershel instructed Chloe before she joined Glenn in the passenger seat. Glenn accelerated through the gates and out of the prison.

"Glenn, you don't have to do this to yourself," Chloe said, glancing his way.

"No, I do Chloe. I do. Maggie was almost..." He hesitated, reconsidering his words.

"She didn't, she's fine."

"She told you that?"

"Yeah."