The Troublesome Recur

Perhaps the answer was simple, perhaps not, but after what felt like hours, I finally got a peace of mind when the angry man walked away with the offer 'the girl for a Spanish man of war.' Flint, On the other hand, had a grumpy face on and sat on the opposite side of me while Eleanor, as always, ran after Vane down the stairs so the two could debate. I really needed some rest from all these discussions and problems and carefully rose to my feet.

"Nobody dares to disturb me or the last thing you see is the underside of my ship."

~~~

I walked away angrily and of course along the way I had to almost encounter Vane and Eleanor arguing. My hatred for her was too much and what I've heard about how she had managed to undermine her power was weak compared to what Flint, I, and, how difficult it is to admit, Vane had to do for our leadership. With fast steps, I took a detour to my camp, not wanting to encounter them both. As I safely arrived there, I greeted some healers from my crew and opened the entrance of my tent, rubbing my eyes. I found myself becoming tired already.

Carefully I laid myself down and my eyelids grew heavily as my movements weren't as smooth as they were before. It was still broad daylight, but it felt like life was being sucked out of me.

Everything that happened today got me thinking, what was Vane talking about when he said it was more than sick? Had he really cared? How much was that girl really worth to bring us a future in this place just built on sand, doomed to fall? Too many questions, but few answers were told in that room and it was killing me. My eyes quickly closed and I was deeply asleep. Though, I believe it was not such a long time after that I woke up, shocked, with nausea from here to London. I heard screams coming from everywhere and got up weakly, almost falling to the floor. I wanted to know if everything was okay. My camp was completely empty, except for Matt standing next to my door as a guard.

"Matt?" I coughed a little and felt my food coming up, so instead of talking, I pointed out at the empty tents.

"The Walrus are voting, well it seems. Some of us went to examine it and found out that it is more entertaining than we could think of."

"If you never do it with my captaincy...then it is fine." He laughed and slapped my back, making me almost throw up. The point was, they couldn't find out I was still sick, they would worry too much and I wouldn't do that to them.

"I'm going to find Flint then.... and I need no guidance!" Smiling, Matt nodded and escorted me out of camp, leaving me alone as I had requested while he left to join the rest of my crew. I saw Flint sitting alone with his head lowered and I joined him.

"Is it going well?"

"Yes.... you? Less sick? I saw you at the table this afternoon. It hasn't vanished yet, has it?" Disappointingly I shook my head and he stared at me, probably feeling sorry.

"Where's your count?" Flint and I both looked up, I was startled by who I saw walking in.

"BILLY?!"

"Jones, since when are you so surprised to see me?"

"You were dead and now you're suddenly not! Doesn't it make sense that it's nice to see you being back unlike Gates?" I tried to make eye contact with Flint, but Flint had turned his head away at the name Gates. I rubbed his upper arm gently, trying to sign it was fine. I knew Flint had killed Mr. Gates and it somehow did make me grow some wrath towards him, but I also knew he hated himself for it and the only thing I could do was help him get over it. I didn't like seeing him all depressed and fucked up. Flint swallowed and clasped his hands together, starting to continue the conversation between him and Billy before I had become joyful and interfered.

"Well, Hard to tell. Everyone's holding this one close." He explained.

"Well, I'm hearing you're up three."

"I have it as four." I stood up apologising and leaned over the cabin railing to vomit. I then wiped the hair from my face and supported myself against a wooden pole behind me.

"Are you okay?" Billy furrowed his eyebrows as he rushed over to me to hold onto my arm.

"As you can see, I'm fine. Lots has happened since you were gone." I almost collapsed and Billy helped me to lay down on a bench on the other side of Flint. "Talk, please, I need distraction." I wasn't lying. Perhaps a little bit of distraction would help me soothe my headache and would cause my stomach to do less backflips. Flint and Billy had listened to what I had requested and they went back into their conversation. Flint had gently rubbed his hand in circles onto my shin and Billy didn't really know what to do, not that he had to do anything. I had a dislike of feeling like I was useless and I also didn't like people feeling like they should help me to be honest. Billy was visibly constricted and it made me  crack up a bit.

"Sometimes, you can make faces.... Jesus." I wasn't the only one to laugh as Billy himself joined me, although it didn't take long before he melted into the conversation once more, making me stare at the yelling men on the other side in the distance.

"Perhaps. Though, still, his argument would seem to be the easier one."

"Why would that be? Flint has some flaws as it seems. However... ain't we all have some? Why would that especially be the reason to depose Flint as captain?" Billy had admitted that what I had remarked was agreeable, but then he reminded me that the men outside of this place, will do anything to make their life easier. For example; if a man's voice was annoying to them, they would already choose the other side and so on....

"Captain Flint will betray anyone to get what he wants. Yesterday it was Mr. Gates, today it was me. Which one of you would like to be tomorrow?" I brought my chin up when I heard a thin figure coming from behind us, telling Flint that it was time and I thought it was a good idea to go back to my camp. Getting up, I patted them both on their backs and was stopped by a hand around my wrist.

"Naida, get some rest and don't worry about me! Tomorrow I will visit you in the morning so be ready when the sun comes up." He mumbled and I nodded understandingly.