Switching Our Loyalty

All the men around me from our side started to gasp and whisper things while I could feel the hand from Charles slither around my waist.

It looked like Teach wasn't standing up soon and maybe the shot had been fatal.

~~~

Flint dropped his right hand to the side of his body, still holding onto his gun as he did so, and took a step closer to see if his opponent was really dead.

The confusion was perfectly visible in Flint's eyes as well as in any other who stood on the white beach and I glared up at the handsome man next to me.

Teach was defeated too fast.

I wanted to fully rotate myself to walk away, but that was until heavy breathing was heard from the harmed man.

While gasping for air he dug his nails into the sand to have some steady ground and pushed himself to his feet. A loud grunt escaped his mouth before he finally stood upright and he blinked a few times, trying to get his vision back to normal because of the bullet that had shot him lengthwise by his temple.

Flint clenched his jaw, hating that he wasn't finished yet and threw his weapon to the side. With anger and impatience he snatched his sword from the sand and so did Teach as well.

Both inhaling and then exhaling deeply, they approached each other with Flint making the first move.

The sound of sword hitting sword was heard and the white sand was floating everywhere because of the heavy movements both men made. Teach clearly was way stronger than Flint who hadn't eaten for days and I bit the inside of my cheek nervously. Flint was weak, but did his best not to give up.... even if he was the first to be on his knees. I couldn't watch what happened next and glared up at Charles instead. It seemed he didn't enjoy watching Teach and Flint battle either as his right hand turned into a fist and was clenched so much that it left his hand lightly bleeding as his other one tightened around me.

It didn't take long until my curiosity took control and I watched the fight sideways, spotting Teach kicking Flint in his midriff which made him stumble to the ground and hit the hot sand with his back. I closed my eyes as I saw Teach lift up his sword to finish him off and then I picked up the sound of a heavier sword hitting sword for the second time. The feeling of the large hand on my waist was gone as well and my eyes shot open, coming to mind that Charles had turned his back on Teach.

He switched his loyalty, changed his mind?

I didn't know why he did it, perhaps it had something to do with Charles caring for both men and the conversation he had with Flint, but it frightened me that Teach would perhaps kill him out of anger.

Teach had believed Charles when he promised him his loyalty and now he was betrayed by the only person he trusted.

Charles was like a son to him, but the wrath he had for him now may have crossed the line. My concern had faded a bit, being reminded of the fact that Teach had taught him almost everything.

They mastered the same fighting skills so they both had an equal chance to win this.

Both men ended up on opposite sides of the beach, staring at each other as the blue eyed man threw his sword onto the sand.

The hurt was visible in Teach's eyes and no matter how horribly bad I felt for him, I was with Charles in this.

Carefully, I made my way to Flint to help him up while in the meantime had walked past Charles towards us. "Take him. And get the fuck off my beach!"

~~~

Catching up some talking with Billy and Flint about their adventure, I meanwhile watched Charles from a distance who stood leaning over the railing with folded hands while staring into the black ocean with fire burning up in his blue eyes.

"My apologies for what I had said on that beach. I get why you chose his side." Flint quietly whispered, regret in his green eyes.

"You know I didn't think the way those two men thought.... it's my home after all, but I love him."

"Charles's too." Flint corrected me and I nodded.

Perhaps he didn't see Nassau the way he used to do, but it was still his home nonetheless.

"He only forgot it." I chuckled before stepping up the small stairs towards the forecastle where Charles was grumbling in silence.

"Hey, how are you feeling?"

"Fucked up." He watched me with his pierced eyes sideways before staring back at the dark water. No life was visible seeing in it except for the small silver fish jumping up from the water, something that happened rarely.

"We have this a lot.... being annoyed, sad or whatever about the actions we make just because of loyalty and the way we think we owe people. Maybe we should let go some more?"

"Let go, in which way exactly?" His lips curled into a huge smirk and I already knew in which way his mind went.

"Not just sex, Charles! I mea-...."

"I know what you meant. I was just teasing."

"Mhuh." I noticed Charles wouldn't tell me much about his emotions anymore as the days changed into weeks and into months. I knew he didn't want to make his problems my problems as well and wanted me to stress about things as little as possible, but I had the urge to help him. The problem was, he was hard to read in some ways and it wasn't helping. "It will fade. The feeling of betraying someone. It will fade." I placed a kiss on Charles' jaw before pulling myself back from him.

"I know...." A sigh was heard from the wide muscular man and I heard some heavy footsteps behind me. I rotated myself, watching Flint climbing up the forestay and he nodded at me, waiting on his turn to speak to Charles. "Maybe you should get some rest, I'll join you later." The blue eyed Captain spoke and I embraced him before making my way to Flint.

"Be nice." I ordered sternly.

A grin was painted onto Flint's face when I rolled my eyes and I carefully walked away, making space onto the railing from the forecastle to the lower deck so I could sit there. I had thrown my legs over the railing and took a seat, leaning with my back against the large mast.

I had lowered my head and dozed off a bit as I could still recognize voices and hear what was being said.

"All he ever did was offer me his friendship."