Chapter 41 - The Muggle Protection Act

Dear Father and Mother,

I ’m sure you have been informed by now of Professor Quirrell’s death. I don’t know how much Dumbledore told the board, but according the rumours here, Quirrell kidnapped Potter’s sister and took her into some hidden chamber under the school. Then, Potter followed them, and there was some kind of confrontation that left Quirrell dead and Potter in the Hospital Wing for two days. They’re keeping very tight-lipped about how it happened, and they’re trying to make it sound like Quirrell got mauled by the three-headed dog, but I’m not convinced of that story. I don’t think either Potter or Granger has it in them to kill, but something doesn’t smell right.

However, the most important thing is that Potter and Granger seem to have had a major falling-out with Dumbledore after the incident, but they ’re not talking about that, either; Potter will only say that it’s a private matter. Most people think it’s sour grapes just because Dumbledore let him get hurt, but I’m not convinced of that, either. I’ve heard rumours that Dumbledore tried to trick Potter into that fight somehow or maybe even put him in that situation in the first place. Whatever it was, it was bad enough that I’ve personally seen Potter glaring at Dumbledore during dinner. I think Dumbledore’s looked a little less “energetic” this week, too.

Potter ’s attitude toward the other teachers doesn’t seem to have changed, even for McGonagall. And it’s hard to tell, but I don’t think McGonagall looks happy with Dumbledore right now, either. I think you may be right that Dumbledore has lost influence among his own followers. If I may, I would suggest that putting increased pressure on Dumbledore to disillusion his supporters would be the best course of action for the next month.

Your loving son,

Draco

----------

Our beloved son,

This is excellent news, and most welcome. The Muggle Protection Act hangs by a thread, and its keystone is now under fire. The whispers have, indeed, reached beyond the walls of Hogwarts, and with this information, your father can feel confident in acting upon them. The unfortunate downside of this will be that it will weaken the old meddler ’s defence of Professor Snape. However, we are investigating a compromise with the Board of Governors that should see him returning next year with minimal difficulty. We consider this a small price to pay for our larger goal. Next month, we will prevail.

However, we must give you a stern warning. Your father has heard the most alarming rumours regarding the circumstances of Quirrell ’s death. The less you know about them, the better, at least until the end of term. Tread very carefully around the subject of Quirrell’s death, both within and without Slytherin house, but if you do learn anything concrete, inform us at once.

Continue to watch Potter and Dumbledore for any changes.

Father and Mother

----------

“Okay, men—and women—this is it. Silencio!” Oliver Wood silenced Fred and George before they could step on his speech.

Harry’s exams had gone well, he thought, despite his revising being disrupted. Indeed, Hermione had been a good deal more stressed about them than he was, as usual.

“The big one. The one we’ve all been waiting for. This is for all the Gobstones.”

It was an open secret by now that Dumbledore had done something to make Harry pretty mad, though only Hermione, Ron, and Neville knew the true extent of it. There wasn’t much he could do about that, though. He’d have to just take whatever happened as it came. On the bright side, Malfoy hadn’t given him any trouble about it. A few people were convinced that Harry was a dark wizard and had killed Quirrell for daring to touch his sister, but given how badly he was hurt himself, most people chose to believe that Quirrell was eaten by Fluffy, and whatever else had happened down there was either Quirrell’s fault or Dumbledore’s (or both).