Chapter 52 - Wizard Genetics

Tom’s next move was a tricky one. He had been able to push Ginny enough to lower her guard to him if she was afraid, or even curious, but for this one, he might have to take over by sheer force of will. It was bad enough that she was growing suspicious of him. If he was going to make a move soon, it would have to be today, so she could chalk it up to not feeling well after the Duelling Club meeting. It was even harder that he didn’t have much choice for a target who she was emotionally invested in pursuing. He might have been able to persuade her that the Lovegood girl was a rival for Potter’s affections (even though Potter clearly had little-to-no interest in girls yet), but Lovegood was a pureblood and thus someone he did not want to hurt if he could help it. And anyway, he wanted to try to frame Potter for the attack, which meant the best bet was to try to take “revenge” on the Finch-Fletchley boy who had defeated him last night.

But Harry’s not like that, Ginny insisted. He doesn’t do things like that. Ron said he didn’t even want revenge on his horrible relatives.

That may be true, Tom replied, though he suspected Potter would go for revenge pretty quickly for someone he cared about, but they’re just muggles. They can’t hurt him anymore. But a defeat like that at the hands of another wizard will be seen by some as a sign of weakness. With his political influence, he should not let it go unanswered.

I don ’t think he cares about that, Tom. Justin’s his friend. I heard they met at the muggle-born orientation. And he doesn’t like causing trouble, either. I don’t think he wants to get him back at all.

What Harry wants is not the issue. He can ’t help being raised by muggles. We both know how politics work in the magical world. Someone like Draco Malfoy could easily seize upon his actions for his own gain. It would help Harry greatly to have someone on his side who is willing to help him like this.

I don ’t think so, Tom. I don’t think Harry would like it.

I ’m sure if you just explain it, he’ll understand.

I really don’t think so, Ginny replied nervously. Ron told me all about Harry, and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t think that way. Muggles are really—I guess liberal—you know, compared with the rest of the Wizengamot. They don’t do revenge and stuff like that. I just know Harry would get mad if I went after Justin because of him.

Ginny really didn’t seem like she would be persuaded this time. It seemed she was smarter that Tom had thought. But then again, Tom knew the argument was a real stretch compared with what he’d tried before. Still, he had other tricks up his sleeve. Ginny didn’t even notice she was wandering again until she reached the second floor girls’ bathroom.

Tom, no, please. I don’t want to go back in there again, she thought. She wasn’t even sure why she thought it, but her fear was growing stronger by the minute.

I ’m afraid I really must insist, Ginny.

No, please! I’m scared, Tom! I don’t understand what’s going on, she said in her half-delirious thoughts. Why do people keep getting hurt? Why are we doing this? What’s happening to me. Please make it stop!

It will stop when the school is cleansed, Tom said. Including Potter, he thought to himself. But for now, we must continue.