2. Classroom Activity

Thorfinn POV:

It was the second period of the day, and they had art class now. Their teacher is Mr. Ragnar, and the moment he walked into the classroom, Thorfinn and some others burst out laughing. His bald head was shaped like an egg, and his beard style looked like something out of a viking story. Mr. Ragnar chose to ignore the snickering students, and walked towards the front of the classroom.

"Alright, folks!" He exclaimed, slightly embarrassed. "I'm your art teacher, Mr. Ragnar." He said, setting down his supplies on the desk at the head of the classroom.

Thorfinn decided to tune out the rest of the introduction, because he honestly didn't care about art class, or any other class for that matter. He crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair, and the only thing he could see in front of him was the back of the guy sitting in front of him. His long hair flowed past his shoulders and the pale blonde color shimmered because of the classroom lights. Thorfinn seriously considered the fact that he must be a girl, but the boy's male uniform said otherwise. He remembered seeing this same exact person during the entrance ceremony earlier that day, but he didn't get a good look at his face.

Last period, during homeroom, Thorfinn did get a better view of his face. When the boy looked behind him and faced Thorfinn, Thorfinn froze in his spot. His big blue eyes had Thorfinn mesmerized, and his pale skin was so bright. Thorfinn had never seen something like that before. He looked like a princess.

"Now, students. We will begin a classroom activity to get to know each other better. I have assigned each of you with partners, and I want you and your partner to draw a portrait of each other. While you're doing that, you may socialize and ask questions about each other!" Mr. Ragnar explained, holding up a piece of paper. "On to your partners! Atli and Torgrim. Ari and Anne. Thorfinn and Canute. Asser and Willibald..." Mr. Ragnar continued.

Thorfinn looked around. How the hell are we supposed to find our partners when we don't even know them? He grunted to himself. Thorfinn decided to just sit in his chair, his arms and legs crossed over the other, waiting for this Canute person to find him. He watched as the boy in front of him asked around for his partner.

"Excuse me, Ari. Do you know anyone with the name Thorfinn?" He politely asked the person sitting beside him to his right. The boy he was talking to shook his head.

Oh, so that's his name. Canute. Thorfinn sighed, wondering what to expect from him. Thorfinn waved to Canute. "I'm Thorfinn." He bluntly stated.

Canute's eyes brightened as he let out a sigh of relief, happy to have found his partner. Thorfinn exhaled, irritated. Why is he like that? Canute happily skipped towards Thorfinn, and turned his chair around so that he was facing Thorfinn's desk.

"Should we get started with portraits?" Canute asked, his voice soft and gentle.

"Whatever." Thorfinn scoffed, his arms still crossed. He watched as Canute picked up a pencil and sketchbook, preparing to draw him. Thorfinn sighed as he uncrossed his arms and leaned forward to pick up his sketchbook, too.

Canute flipped open the book, to his first page. "Are you good at sketching, Thorfinn?" Canute asked, his eyes blinking with kindness.

The amount of kindness and politeness Canute was emitting was too much for Thorfinn. He squinted as he stared at Canute, not saying a word. He's so bright. Thorfinn thought to himself. Suddenly, Thorfinn opened his mouth to speak. "Are you a girl?" He asked, rudely. 

Canute bit his lip, embarrassed. "No." He replied, looking down at his book to begin his portrait. 

Thorfinn scoffed. "You look like a princess." He declared, feeling the sudden need to tease Canute. How is he so popular with everyone? Thorfinn wondered. He looks like a trap.

"I-I'm sorry." Canute whimpered, quietly. Thorfinn rolled his eyes. He's a crybaby, too?! Thorfinn sighed as he looked down at his paper and scribbled a face, not caring how it looked.

They quietly sketched each others faces, because Thorfinn was not in any mood to talk. Every now and then, they would look up at each other to help them draw. Thorfinn glared at Canute every time he looked up, and Canute's cheeks would grow pink and quickly look down, since he was flustered. Around them, everyone was talking to their partners happily. Thorfinn and Canute were the only ones who were not speaking.

Suddenly, Thorfinn peered over the desk, to look at Canute's drawing. It was stunning. Canute had successfully captured all of Thorfinn's best features, and it was just an incredible sketch overall. Canute caught Thorfinn staring, and gave him a timid smile. "Is it good?" He asked, brushing his pale bangs out of his eyes, so he could see Thorfinn's expression better.

Thorfinn clicked his tongue. It was hard for him to say out loud, that his art was actually good. Thorfinn glanced down at his own sketch of Canute and held it up. "Yours is better than mine." He answered, showing Canute his drawing. Canute laughed, and Thorfinn lowered his sketchbook to see his reaction. His blue eyes were shining and his pink lips were twisted upwards in a genuine smile. His pearl white teeth glistened as he laughed at Thorfinn's terrible drawing.

"Is that how you think I look?" Canute asked, teasingly.

Thorfinn scowled. "Yes. Exactly." He replied, trying to act tough. Canute laughed again, shaking his head. "How are you so good at art?" Thorfinn asked, gruffly.

Canute shrugged. "I don't know. I practice a lot and I really enjoy it." He replied, twirling a strand of his blonde hair with his finger.

Thorfinn rolled his eyes. Despite the fact that Canute looked like a girl and is very timid, he surprisingly enjoyed his company. Thorfinn never expected to feel that way about Canute, but it was the truth.

Canute POV:

Art class was over, and Canute walked out of the classroom, a huge grin plastered on his face. His first impressions of Thorfinn were complicated, but good nonetheless. Thorfinn is a grumpy kid, who always frowned and said rude things whenever he got the opportunity. However, he was nice when he wanted to be, and extremely funny. Thorfinn is also quite a terrible drawer, which was also funny.

Thorfinn had scruffy blonde hair, and he wore his uniform in an untidy and rough manner. It was only the first day, but Canute could tell Thorfinn is always going to act and dress like that. However, Canute didn't mind. He thought it fit Thorfinn's personality, and he looked cool.

He looked down at the portrait of himself that was in his hands, drawn by Thorfinn. Mr. Ragnar told the class that they can keep each others portraits, and do whatever they wanted with it. Canute definitely was not going to hang it up, since the scribbles on the page looked nothing like him. Rather, he was planning to paste it in his own sketchbook, to remember this day by.

Canute approached the cafeteria, thinking about his first day of school and his favorite teachers so far. He really liked Mr. Ragnar, and Mr. Askeladd was a chill and fun teacher too. Mr. Ragnar was the best out of the two in his opinion, since he was his art teacher after all, and Canute really enjoyed art.

Canute waved to his friends who were sitting at a table in the middle of the cafeteria. He walked towards them and set down his belongings. While they ate lunch together and talked, Canute glued his portrait to his sketchbook, chuckling every time he glanced at it. He wondered where Thorfinn was sitting, and glanced around the large cafeteria. Students were scrambling all over the place, so it was hard to find just one person. Luckily, Canute spotted the blonde boy sitting alone and eating against the cafeteria wall, near the back. Canute suddenly felt bad for Thorfinn, who was sitting alone. I wonder if he has any friends? Maybe I should invite him to sit with us.

~~~

hey everyone!! hope you enjoyed this chap, lol. more will be coming soon, maybe in a couple of days! thanks for reading my stories! if you like this one, check out my other thornute book: https://www.wattpad.com/story/218373576-thorfinn-x-canute-vinland-saga-fanfic-ongoing