3. Lunch

Thorfinn POV:

It was the second day of school, and Thorfinn was leaning against the cafeteria wall, eating his lunch. He sat alone on the floor, like yesterday, but he didn't think much of it. Thorfinn didn't care about making friends, he just wanted to get through the school day quickly and go home, to play video games or something. The less distractions the better.

Thorfinn chomped on his burger, as he gazed around the cafeteria. Students were crowded everywhere, bumping people in the lunch line and sitting next to their friends at the tables. Thorfinn wasn't completely alone. Next to him, a couple of meters away was a scrawny boy with big glasses. Nerd. Thorfinn thought to himself, snickering.

Thorfinn continued eating his lunch, lost in thought. He stared at his backpack beside him. Inside was the portrait Canute drew of him yesterday. Thorfinn took the portrait out and stared at it. It really was amazing work, and the portrait of him looked like it was made by a professional, not a high school student.

"It's good, right?" A voice from above him suddenly said. Thorfinn glanced up and saw Canute standing over him, grinning. Thorfinn blushed at the sudden arrival of Canute, and the fact that he was caught gazing at his portrait.

"It's decent." Thorfinn sneered, quickly stashing it inside his bag. 

Canute crouched to be at the same level as Thorfinn. "Do you want to sit with me and my friends?" He asked, his blue eyes shining with kindness.

Thorfinn clicked his tongue, unsure. He squinted his eyes at Canute, and gave him a glare. "Why would I?" He responded, gruffly.

Canute shrugged. "I just noticed you were eating alone. Do you want to come?" Canute asked, smiling. Thorfinn groaned as he stood up and nodded his head. He followed Canute towards his table, sluggishly trailing behind him. Once they arrived at Canute's table, all of his friends stared at the newcomer. "This is Thorfinn, my friend." Canute introduced. Thorfinn rolled his eyes at the mention of the word 'friend.' As if.

Canute began to introduce all of his friends to Thorfinn but Thorfinn wasn't listening. Instead he sat down and began drooling over the platter of food in front of him. "What the hell is this?" Thorfinn asked, wondering why such good food was being served in a school cafeteria.

The student sitting in front of Thorfinn pushed the plate towards Thorfinn. "Canute made lunch for all of us. His cooking is amazing." He explained.

Canute laughed as he sat down next to Thorfinn. "Oh, come on Willibald. It's not that great." Canute said, flustered by the compliment.

Thorfinn raised his eyebrows as he looked at Canute. Then, without asking, he took a handful of the rolled sushi. Fish and veggies were rolled in rice and wrapped with seaweed. Thorfinn savored the spicy taste in his mouth, rolling the rise around his tongue. "Humph." Thorfinn muttered while chewing. How is this guy great at everything?

"Does it taste good?" Canute asked, leaning towards Thorfinn. His blue eyes gleamed as he watched Thorfinn eat his food.

"It's okay." Thorfinn grunted, not wanting to admit the truth. He continued munching on the delicious food, right up until the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch and the start of their next class.

Canute POV:

Canute couldn't help but be attracted towards Thorfinn, like a magnet. He wanted to know more about him, and why he was so grumpy all the time. Canute watched as Thorfinn grumpily sat behind him, his eyes narrow.

They were back in their homeroom classroom, however this time it was math class. The teacher that arrived to teach math was Mr. Thorkell. Canute and his classmates soon realized that Mr. Thorkell wasn't fit to be a math teacher, or a teacher in general. He was a tall and bulky guy, who only cared about challenging his students to arm wrestling instead of teaching quadratics.

Canute sighed, not at all complaining. He was quite a diligent student anyway, since he aced all his exams last year. By the time class was almost over, Mr. Thorkell finally assigned some work. "Okay, folks! You kids still need to do a lot if you want to beat me in arm wrestling. Anyways, answer the questions in your textbook, which are on page 31. You will need a partner for the math activity, so make sure to get one and complete the activity by tomorrow." Mr. Thorkell instructed, and began packing up his belongings.

Canute furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He raised his hand, and Mr. Thorkell nodded his head. "Sir, when will we get time to complete the activity?" Canute asked.

Mr. Thorkell sighed. "Do it on your own time, princess." Mr. Thorkell replied, teasingly. Canute looked down and blushed, since he was flustered.

From behind him, Thorfinn snickered loudly. "Ha! Princess." He said, chuckling. Canute turned around and gave the snarky boy a glare. Thorfinn was sitting with his arms crossed and one leg propped up on his desk.

"Shut up!" Canute exclaimed, as the students around them packed their belongings to prepare to leave for the end of the day. Thorfinn sighed and rolled his eyes, and swung his rugged backpack over his shoulder. As he was about to leave the classroom, Canute tapped his shoulder from behind. "Thorfinn?" He suddenly asked.

Thorfinn turned around and glared at Canute. "What do ya want, princess?" He asked, giving him a fierce glare.

Canute gulped and twiddled his thumbs. "Um... would you please be my partner?" He asked, as the tips of his ears slowly turned pink.

Thorfinn raised his eyebrows and looked at Canute strangely. "Why? You have millions of other friends you can be partners with, princess." He remarked.

"Yes, but... I noticed you don't have a partner." Canute responded, still staring at his feet.

Thorfinn sighed. "Fine, but just so you know, I don't care about my grades. You do all the work." He stated, his eyes serious.

Canute looked up and nodded his head, smiling. "Great! Well, since it's due tomorrow, why don't you come to my house so we can work on it?" Canute suggested, his blue eyes shining. Thorfinn sighed again and nodded his head. The two of them walked out the door, and Canute led the way to where his parents' car was parked.

When they arrived at Canute's car, Thorfinn stared at it with his jaw to the floor. "What the hell? You're rich!" Thorfinn exclaimed, shocked. Canute shrugged and nodded his head, walking towards the sleek black limousine.

"Come!" He said, opening the door for Thorfinn.

~~~

hey y'all! just wanted to say thanks for reading this chapter! the next chapter is coming soon, and it's going to be about Thorfinn and Canute's "study date" 🙈