Chapter III - Operation Blitzkrieg

Chapter 3 - Operation Blitzkrieg

November 6th, Beacon, Vale, 2287 - Day 28

Yukon POV:

Today’s the day I set out with the Minutemen on their first mission, and my first operation as a Hunter and teacher. I’m at the air pad that Oz said to go to when I was ready. I’m talking to the Bullhead Pilot when my team arrives. And, they took my advice on getting suited up. Well, most of them.

They all brought layers, it looks like, and the ones who wear leg clothing are now wearing jeans or some type of clothing to warm them up. At least I won’t be teaching idiots.

Yukon: “Good, you’re all here. We move out in 5.”

Jaune: “Um, Sir, you haven’t told us where we’re going.”

Yukon: “I thought you’d figure it out when I told you to pack warm, Private Arc. We’re going to Atlas to clear out some Grimm.”

Some of the students look excited, but one in particular looks less ready than everyone else.

Yukon: “Lance Corporal Schnee, is something wrong?”
Wiess looks caught off guard. She stumbles over her words before giving an answer.

Wiess: “U-Um, well, it’s just that… I have family in Atlas. I’m not exactly thrilled to go back. In fact, they’re the reason I came to Beacon.”

I know that feeling all too well. I had a brother I hated back when I lived in Texas. A real pain in the ass, we never liked each other.

Yukon: “Would you like to stay here then, Lance Corporal?”

Wiess: “What? N-No, I’m fine. You said we’re clearing out Grimm, right? As long as I don’t see them, I’ll be fine.”

Yukon: “Alright then. Get your things in the Bullhead, I’ll be there shortly.”

I whistle to Bullet, and he comes galloping over. I grab his reins and lead him up to the Bullhead, but for some reason, he doesn’t go up the ramp. I start jerking the reins, but he isn’t moving at all.

Yukon: “What is it this time? Ramp not nice enough? Come on, get on, we have a mission, and I can’t go alone in the snow, and you know that.”

Bullet just stares at the ramp as if I hadn’t said a word.

Yukon: “It ain’t debatable. Now move.”

I yank at the reins again and Bullet neighs and starts resisting even further. At this point the two teams are watching this exchange drag out, and no one has stepped in. That is, until Blake came up to Bullet, and starts petting his jaw. He miraculously calms down and walks up the ramp with Blake, whilst looking at her. I look at Blake, shocked, because he has never, and I mean never, obeyed anyone like that, other than a select few that feed him enough apples or oats. And even then it’s a drag to get him to cooperate. Blake looks back at me and starts to speak.

Blake: “What? I know how to deal with animals. I’ve dealt with horses before, Captain.”

Yukon: “Private Belladonna, do you know what you’ve just accomplished?”
Blake starts to stutter.

Blake: I-I don’t..”

I don’t give her the chance to finish.

Yukon: “Bullet has never listened to anyone that well before. You’re the first and likely only person he’ll ever obey. Congratulations, Private. This is useful to the team.”

Blake, as I expected, doesn’t know how to respond. I take the initiative, since no one else is. I pat her back and address her formally.

Yukon: “I think...you’ll be a good Private First Class, Blake. Thank you.”

I tip my hat to her, and head up to the head of the dropship, also known as the ‘cockpit’. I exchange information with the pilot and we take of North for the team’s first real mission outside of Beacon grounds. It shouldn’t take long, just like a lightning war. A… blitzkrieg.