9: Persuasion

But if I chose..
As a blind man would
Only hearing voices
Inside my head

Can I say
It was right
To snuff out
Every foe
I could find

...What about me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Some time later...)

(Ren's P.O.V)

"FUUUUUTTAABBAAAAAAAA!"

The wretched, shrill call of Wakaba's shadow rang in my ears. It was Fox, Mona, Crow and I, all up against her chimera like form as it flew high in the sky, pacing back and forth wildly as we watched from the top of the pyramid.

We had it down to 30% of its HP, and we had hardly any rations of SP or HP revival items left. Even with Futaba's help, we were tired.

"Fox! Use a physical attack!" I watched overhead as Wakaba shrieked loudly. I pulled out my gun and once she flew close enough, sprayed bullets at her. One managed to hit her critically, and she came bounding into the side of the pyramid in a flurry.

I handed off my turn with a nod to Yusuke, who jumped at her with a heavy physical blow.

Wakaba's HP dwindled. All we needed now was one more all out attack..

"Now!!" Fox called, managing another critical just before his turn finished. The group of us met eyes, before we all jumped at the shadow.

As we touched down, I took out my gun. I had a single bullet left.

"It's time to die." I muttered, enclosing my finger around the trigger.

BLAM!

Wakaba instantly dissipated into dust. I blinked, turning to look over my shoulder.

There Akechi stood with his pistol drawn, having fired the last shot. As the group of us stared, I could feel goosebumps rising on my skin.

He looked...deranged.

"Good riddance." He hissed.

Whatever was wrong with him, I didn't like it.

"Crow, you can't just---"

The ground began to shake violently, inturrupting me. I looked around, realising the pyramid was beginning to collapse.

"W-We gotta get g-g-going!!!" Mona suddenly yelped.

"L-Lets go!!" Ann called, grabbing Mona and beginning at a sprint. I turned to the group, then back to Akechi as he holstered his pistol.

Swallowing my clear uneasy feelings about what he'd just done, I held out my arm.

"Get on my back. Lets go."

----------

(Akechi's P.O.V)

I was beyond exhausted.

I hauled myself slowly up the steps of the train station, finally heading back to my flat. After all the commotion with Ren and Futaba last night, and then not sleeping because of that...weird dream...this mission to steal Futaba's heart had just done me in.

I was thankful she awoke just after we got to Sojiro's this morning. We were able to meet everyone at the diner and enter the palace without any delay. If she had woken even a day later, it would have complicated everything. Now all we had to do was wait for Futaba to obliterate Medjed.

Which meant I had a few days to cause more commotion in other Palaces.

Getting to the top of the steps, I glanced my watch. 9:02am. Good, I had all day to rest, then I could start Shido's errands tonight. I'd managed to dodge him many times over the last few weeks, but clearly from his lackies targeting me last night, it would only be a matter of time before they started tailing me. They would surely be more violent too, the next time they found me.