Chapter 14 - Awaken

Lisuga and Dumagan were sitting outside the lawig (hut on stilts for commoners) as they were watching the ebbing sunlight robbing the virescent hues of the forest.

"I am glad you came back," said Lisuga. "I began to feel rather daunted at the thought of losing you from the soul ferry."

Dumagan noticed that she was in the doldrums, so he pinched her cheeks. "Don't take life too seriously."

"Stop it!" She moved away from him. "That hurts," rubbing her cheeks. "Besides what's the connection?"

"Nothing." He leaned back and closed his eyes. He was enjoying the feel of the zephyr as it was sweeping over his face. "By the way, I like your new hair color."

"Oh yes, thank you." She said sheepishly.

"Is it true? Is it true that you gave up your immortality to save me?" He finally added.

"What are you talking about?" Her eyebrows crossed. She never wanted him to know.

"Magwayen told me. We were about to embark and sail towards the other side, but then, we heard your voice. You were crying."

"Yes, I was." She immediately answered. "Can we not talk about this? A thank you will suffice," she smiled.

He smiled back. "I am very grateful and honored. I should also thank Datu Bangkaya, but how did he find us there?"

"We shouldn't question the will of the God. What's good is that we were rescued by Datu Bangkaya and his friends."

"They call themselves 'People of the Lake' or Iranon,"

"How did you know?"

"I met them few years back when I was at the sea. They were attacked by the Ternatan pirates, then my crew and I helped them defeat the pirates. In return, they welcomed us to the Sultanate of Dansalan and bestowed us a stash of silk and gold."

"I see," she replied lowly. "I never imagined meeting people like them. They don't seem to recognize my name." She checked every woman in the place. They all dressed in an intricately embroidered long sleeves and a violet, tubular woven cloth (malong) wrapped around their waist. However, one thing that caught her attention was the three lads and a little girl who were playing.

"What were you thinking?" Dumagan asked.

"Those kids reminded me of my childhood days and my brothers." A single tear slid down from her warm eyes. "My kingdom used to be peaceful and blithe, but everything changed when my parents died. It may already be a history, but it still saddens me to remember that our eldest brother, Licalibutan, attacked the skyworld to seize the control from our grandfather, who undoubtedly sent a lightning bolt to him. Then, his body shattered into pieces and fell to this world."

Dumagan rubbed away her tear, then he held her hand and said, "Your brother may have done unforgivable, but I am certain that he already regretted it. Maybe one day your grandfather will bring him back to life and accept him again."

Out of the blue, they heard a sound of cough.

"I hope I am not interrupting something." Datu Bangkaya showed up.

"No!" Dumagan and Lisuga retorted at the same time.

"Thank you for rescuing us, Brother, and for keeping Lisuga safe."

"It is my pleasure, but don't you dare die on us again, or else Lisuga might go ballistic."

Lisuga blushed as Bangkaya mentioned it. "Oh, shut it, Bangkaya! Why are you here anyway?"

He chuckled and turned to Dumagan. "You have been summoned by the sultan, my dear Brother."