16.

3237 Careyville Lane. My feet stayed planted at my best friend's Dad's house, not too far over. I felt like I was walking forever in the coldest night in winter with nothing but a long sleeve shirt, some torn jeans, and some hole beaten shoes. To say I was freezing would be a understatement. But I had no other choice, I had enough of that bitch's unknown hate for me. Still I was so reluctant to knock on the door.
I finally mustered up the courage to do so.
KNOCK!
KNOCK!
KNOCK!
It took all of 8 seconds for my Bestfriend to open the door.
"Isaiah?" He asked in disbelief, as he opened the screen door to get a better look.
With tears welling in my eyes from the breeze of coldness against the stings of the slaps that remained on my face, I responded, "Yes, it's me."
"What the hell did she do to you?" I heard my Bestfriend whisper to me after letting me in the door and wrapping a warm towel over me.
I stuttered to get the words out. Part of me was relieved I wasn't in her presence anymore, the other part was traumatized in the mere thought of having to go back.
"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it, but I have to get you cleaned up. You've got blood all over your shirt and chin." Devonté spoke out, seeing the difficulty I was having trying to answer his question.
"C'mon, let's get you cleaned up bestfriend." He said lifting me up and carrying me upstairs to the master bathroom. He sat me down on the toilet and started to run a bath for me.
I watched slowly as my Bestfriend moved swiftly around the bathroom, applying the towel in the appropriate place, sprinkling some bath salts in the tub, and going as far as to have a water bottle and a napkin beside the tub just in case I needed it.
My Bestfriend stopped the water, and looked over at me.
"You ready to get in the tub?" He asked with hope in his eyes, the hope I so desperately wished I had.
All I could do was shake my head yes.
Devonte then slowly started to undress me.
I know he felt sympathetic as he untied my shoe and unbuckled my pathetic looking jeans.
He then led me into the warm bath. The warmth against my skin felt so relaxing as I slowly eased my body into the steaming water. I placed my head back and relaxed my body completely.
"Thank you bestfriend." I finally uttered a word since he'd open the door for me.
"For what?" He asked looking confused.
"For saving my life."
Devonté smiled at me, and said, "Always Bestfriend."