Chapter twenty one-Recovery

"F/n-kun?"

...

"F/n-kun?"

that voice...

"F/n-kun?"

I recognize that voice.

"F/n-kun?

I opened my eyes to... "Fuuko?"

Fuuko was looking down at me with a worried look. Was my head in her lap? "When they brought F/n-kun here, F/n-kun's eyes were open, but wouldn't say anything."

Seeing her face brought me relief, and I sat up – had I been lying down? – and wrapped her in a hug. "Fuuko...Fuuko..."

She returned my hug. "Fuuko hears that you've been having a rough time."

I froze as the memories returned. Kotomi-chan, Yukine, Nagisa...then it really did happen.

"F/n..." Fuuko's voiced sounded strained. "You're squeezing me too tight."

I lowered myself back to her lap. "Sorry. It has been rough. I think I snapped or something."

"Don't worry, F/n-kun; if you lose your marbles, Fuuko will find them. Fuuko's your girlfriend after all."

I smiled for the first time in I-don't-know-how-long. "Yeah you are, and I'm glad for that." I enjoyed feeling her warmth before realizing... "I'm at the school. Fuuko?"

"Yes?"

"How did I get to the school? I don't remember-"

"How is he?" Fuuko looked toward the door, and I thought I recognized the voice as being Nagisa's. "Is he...conscious?"

"F/n-kun's awake, but a little...confused," Fuuko replied.

"May I come in?" Nagisa sounded nervous.

Fuuko looked at my face for a moment before looking back. "Not yet, Nagisa-san. F/n-kun just woke up, and doesn't know what's going on yet."

"Okay. I'll check back in a few minutes."

I heard her leave, but Fuuko continued to look toward the door. "Nagisa-san told Fuuko that all of those girls confessed to you."

My face suddenly felt hot. "Y-Yes, they did, but..." I trailed off as Fuuko looked down at me.

I think it was the first time I had ever seen tears in Fuuko's eyes. "You...You..." her breath shuddered. "You turned them all down for...just for Fuuko?"

I smiled, and I could feel my own eyes starting to water. "Yeah, I did." I reached up and put my hand on her cheek. "After all, you're my girlfriend, right? You're the one I fell in love with."

Her lip started to quiver, so I quickly sat up and held her. She was the one crying girl I could handle right now.

"F/n-kun...F/n-kuuuun..." She repeated my name over and over, whenever her sobs would allow it, as I held her tightly...but not too tightly this time.

Eventually, Fuuko and I settled down enough that the others could come in. We took seats in desks next to each other, while the others sat at what I assumed was a respectful distance, and Yukine made her way over to a counter where I could see her cooking supplies.

I knew they were all good people, but I was still surprised to see concern...compassion, maybe?...in their eyes.

"F/n-kun," Kotomi started, "are you all right?"

I ran a hand through my hair, partly to calm myself, partly to deal with some bed-head. "Not yet. I still feel a little out of sorts, but I think I'll be all right." I smiled sheepishly. "Sorry for making you worry."