Fourteen.

...

"Skylar!"

I pull open the door to the bathroom and stick my head out into the hallway, my wet hair falling over my shoulder.  Panic comes over me for a moment when I realize that I'm not at home and it's not Harry calling my name, but soon the disappointment seeps in as I remember where I am and why.

I was able to think as I was closed off in the bathroom, the steam of the shower filling the room and the hot water soothing.  I was able to drift away from my problems and anything that had me worried for a short while, but stepping out of the shower brought it all bad too quickly and too soon.

"Yeah?"

"Door," Niall calls as he comes back down the hallway.  His tie is slung around his neck and fingers are fumbling with the buttons of his dress shirt.  A piece of toast sticks out from between his teeth even though we had breakfast over half an hour ago.

His presence alone seems to lift the air in the room and make things just a bit brighter.  Maybe it's the reassurance that not every part of my life is as messed up as the next, that I will always have something to count on.  But even so, I still can't miss the small pit in my stomach that has been lingering for days.

"Put some clothes on, would you?" He teases when he sees me in only my pencil skirt and undershirt.  "You only just got here, you haven't earned the privilage of walking around in your underwear yet," he tells me playfully, shaking his head before disappearing into his room.

I roll my eyes and smile, grab my cardigan from the counter and pull it over my shoulders before I check who's at the door.  As I walk down the hallway, the short moment of light I felt when Niall was near disappears the further away I get from the bathroom.  I round the corner to see who could be waiting to speak to me, but I already have a feeling I know who it is before I see him.  I'm surprised to see him in jeans and a white longsleve rather than dressed for work.

I have to stop myself before I reach out to him, my heart sinking when I remember that we're not technically together anymore.  I have a moment of relapse when his tongue darts out from between his lips, but then I remember that this was my idea and I have to stand by it.  The pit in my stomach becomes more prominent when his bright eyes meet mine.

"Hi," I say as I approach.  His eyes trail over me and his lips lift in the corner as he offers me a lopsided smile.  "What are you doing here?"

"You look lovely," he says softly, crossing his arms and leaning against the door frame while he avoids my question.

"You're not going to work?" I change the subject, quickly abandonning the first attempt to get him to take his eyes off me.  I lower my eyes, hoping not to draw attention to the blush in my cheeks from his wondering eyes and sweet words.  I shift on my feet, uncomfortable to say the least.  I don't think I've ever stood this far from Harry or had a conversation with him without some form of contact.

This is so strange having him at the door talking to me.  I've been living with him for two months now, it's so unnatural to have this barrier between us.  I have to remind myself that we're on a break and that this is good for us.  As much as I want to feel his lips on mine and as much as I missed his arms around me last night, I can't let it blind me from what really is going on.  I need to sort myself out and hopefully when we're together again I won't feel so disconnected.

"No, actually..." He starts, his smile fading.  "That's what I wanted to talk to you about," he says, but stops himself before he can explain.  His eyes dart behind me and I turn to see what he's looking at.  I find Niall gathering his things for work seemingly casually.  He looks up at us finally as if he feels our gazes, his eyes curious and darting between us.