Chapter 8: No Forgivness

The car sounds died down. Serena's lifeless body lay in the grass beside the road. Her body was barely visible since the grass was almost a foot tall. Nicole stood there for about 5 minutes just staring, broken. She was expressionless. She came to a realization that this killer wouldn't rest until everyone she was close to died.

Nicole ran the other direction into the forest. Running as far away from the body as possible, running from what she believes she caused. The leaves were crunching under her feet as her eyes were watering. Her tears made her vision blurry. She could only see the splotches of colors, constantly having to wipe her tears away. The trees where all around her, towering over her, intimidating her.

Nicole stopped running, there was no sign of an exit anywhere. She looked up, only seeing the leaves of the treetops letting in sunlight through a small gap. She looked around there was nothing, no sign of life, nobody. She let out a bloodcurdling scream and fell to the ground crying.

Tears streaming down her face, eyes red and puffing up. Nicole got up and spun around yelling and screaming. She was tearing out pieces of grass from the ground and throwing them in frustration. She stopped. She was hearing ringing in her ears. Nicole blacked out and fell on the grass.

When Nicole awoke it was daytime. She perched her head up to look around, there was vegetation as far as the eye could see. She got up slowly, surveying her surroundings. Nicole thought for a second, "maybe it was just a dream", but It was a nightmare come to fruition.

Nicole didn't know what to do or where she would go. She ran back to the street to call the police for Serena. Of course she was gonna leave the crime scene once she called the cops.

Nicole trekked back to the way she came from. She hesitated to go any closer to the body, she didn't want to relive the horrors. After debating whether or not Nicole should call the cops, she reached into her pocket to get her cellphone. She felt nothing. Nicole soon realized she didn't have her cell with her.

Nicole stood at the grass contemplating her next move. After a few minutes she crossed the empty road to examine Serena's body. It was gone. Nicole was scared and confused. Before she could act on it she heard a loud blaring horn coming from behind her. When she turned around she saw an 18-wheeler. It had pulled over on the side of the road next to Nicole. The man inside said something to her, "Need a ride ma'am?." "Don't be shy, I don't bite" he continued, chuckling. Nicole gave a nervous laughter.

Before Nicole agreed, she wanted to make sure she didn't have her car keys with her. This guy seemed a little sketchy to her, so she wanted to make sure a ride with him was a backup plan. Sure enough, nothing was in her pockets. She came to the conclusion that someone must have mugged her when she passed out in the forest.

Nicole reluctantly accepted the man's offer. He looked unkempt and had raggedy clothes, not to mention he smelled of cigarettes and gasoline. The man sparked up a conversation, "So... where ya' headed to." "Umm... Just up ahead, on the curb is fine" Nicole responded trying to keep calm.Unfortunately the anxiety from the situation was eating her up.

The truck driver pulled up to the curb, but before Nicole was able to say her farewells and get the hell out of there, the truck continued. It took a turn to the left, and had only stopped because of the stop sign. She saw the red flags, but ignored them, however this was the final straw. Nicole glanced at the driver and back at the truck's door. She finally gathered the courage to open the truck's door and jump out as it was moving. Once she jumped out she got bruised and cut, but the adrenaline kicked in and she bolted away. She felt relief, for a brief moment, but it was brief. She felt a sharp pain on her shoulder and began to feel dizzy. Before she was even able to realize what had just happened, she became unconscious.