Prologue

Thursday

Marion looked down the empty pool again, then back at Adam. He had his one foot on the tail and the other on the elevated nose of the skateboard.

"Come on, homie!" shouted Steve, who was sitting next to Adam. "It's either you do it or you bitch out and you ain't doing shit."

"Shut up." Marion pushed himself over the edge and into the pool. When he rose on the other side, he failed to grab the deck and the board flew off from under his feet. He fell back into the pool and thudded against its concrete interior.

"Shit!" Adam jumped up and slid into the pool.

"My board!" Steve jumped up and ran around the pool to make sure his skateboard wasn't broken.

"Damn, man!" Adam kept his distance from Marion who was caressing his left arm with his right arm. "You good?"

"I think I broke my arm."

Friday

After he got his prescribed medication, Marion pointed at a box of cigarettes. "Can I bill that on the medical aid?"

The cashier sighed. "Initials?" they asked again.

"M.O.," said Marion. "M.O. Flynn."

"I said initials."

"Sorry."

The cashier typed on their computer for a while before looking back at him. "No. Cash only."

"Oh." It was hard for Marion to take out the money with his left arm in a sling, but he did it. Soon, he was out of the pharmacy with the medicine and the box of cigarettes in his tote bag. He took out his phone and made a call.

"Hello?" came his mother on the other end.

"Mom," said Marion. "I think I'm gonna come home."