Chapter Seventeen

Friday

Marion entered the house and closed the door behind him. He'd wanted to spend the day with Tulip again, but seeing her at the pool - she was at peace with herself and he didn't want to break that peace. He knew he was about to get his peace broken when he walked into the living room and found his parents just sitting there with the television off.

"Ooh, someone's in trouble," he said. His mother's expression lightened, but the seriousness on his father's face didn't falter. "That was a joke, old man."

Mrs. Flynn sighed. "Kai, your father found out about the scholarship."

"And I don't appreciate the fact that the only reason I found out is because you're leaving next week," Mr. Flynn added.

"It's disappointing, isn't it?" Marion asked. "Finding out you're not as omniscient as you thought you were."

"Marion. This is no time to start a fight," said his mother.

His father stood up. "I understand why he'd expect a fight, Anna. But trust me, son, I am more proud of you than I've ever been."

Marion scoffed. "Yeah, only because you don't need to pay for my schooling anymore."

"Marion!" Mrs. Flynn exclaimed.

"No, no." Marion shook his head. "It's fine, ma. Thanks for being proud, pa, I'd really appreciate it if there was any decency behind your being proud, but it's a crazy world we live in. I'll be in my room if anyone wants to bug me." He turned right around and straight to his room. He still felt a bit weak from erasing a week, but it was better now. It didn't hurt when he raised his voice. It didn't hurt much when he walked into the door because of his clumsiness. It didn't hurt when he threw himself onto his bed.

He was lying on his back and there was a lot to think about. Tulip had made the weight lighter a week before, but a week was enough for all the noises and the lights and the thoughts and the pressure and the stress and the false pride and everything else to catch up. His parents were arguing outside and they'd softened their voices, but it was too loud. The birds chirping outside were too loud. The leaves rustling outside were too loud. The lights in his room were too bright, so he turned them off and it was too dark. His head was buzzing with incoherent thoughts, but one was clearer than most after he stopped time. In the loud silence of his thoughts and the voices inside his head, he heard only her name. Tulip.

The wind outside dropped the temperature a little so he head to put on light sweats before leaving. The sweats were also white, just so he wouldn't get profiled and shot by the police or trigger happy citizens. It was a bad decision to knock on the Moore's front door, but how could he have known? It was the innocent decision.

"Was it you?" Mr. Moore asked after pulling him inside the door and pushing him up against the door. "Was it you that raped my daughter?"

Marion managed to keep calm. "No, sir. It wasn't me, I swear."

After a look from his wife, Mr. Moore let Marion loose. "How do I know you're not lying?"

"I don't know how the mind of a rapist works, but I don't think I'd come to her house if I was him," said Marion. "I've known Tulip for a long time, she's one of my best friends."

"I know." Mr. Moore nodded. "I'm sorry, son. I- Do you know who did it? Do you know who hurt my baby girl?"

"I do, but..." Marion sighed. "...I don't think it's my place to tell you. If she told you she got raped, she'll probably tell you who did it."