Chapter 1

'The darkest shadows hide behind the brightest light.'

 White fluffy clouds glided through the pale blue sky; filtering the rays of the majestic sun which had awakened with a smile on its face. The vibrant shades of green grass glittered under the morning light as the birds cried, praising the nature. A twitter here and twitter there, joining up into a chorus. Everything seemed beautiful. Oh, so lovely!

Except for the one creature which often took things seriously.

"What's the time?" Ayden asked for the fourteenth count, his fingers trembling over his hair as a sign of frustration. "Why is she always late? This is getting on my self-assurance. She needs to learn the basic discipline of punctuality!" He paced through the veranda which was filled with rich fragrance of roses; his hands tied at the back just so that he could control himself a speck.

"Why is it so hard for her to understand? Moreover, why can't she understand?" He raised his voice at the last bit, unable to manage his bitterness. His behaviour was a lot like the raging of the seas, calm at first and then it flickers almost immediately.

They were standing at the corridor, Cyrus clenching to the railing and looking up with her onyx eyes which was sparkled with a thunder blue, as she was not able to handle her brother's melodramatic performance. She soon sighed, giving up on Ayden's outburst. "Phoenix will be here soon." But this didn't do much with his tension. She pretended to examine her watch and looked out at the mansion as Ayden continued to mutter senseless bits of words.

"I mean, come on! Why can't she be the least responsible? Why must I always scold her for not doing her chores?" He clenched his jaw tightly, whilst hurting himself. "There are at least seven ways this could go wrong. I have been counting it like an idiot."

"And I have been counting the number of times you are repeating the same thing. It's an approximation of three times per sixty seconds in fifty minutes." 

The hard footsteps were evidently heard reverberating through the white tiled floor. The strides held what could only be deciphered as those which belonged to a notorious individual. Ayden turned around instantly to be welcomed by one of the infamous jiggery-pokery smiles. He was almost about to roll his eyes when he noticed the attire she had on.

"So, a clear sky with a fairly happy sun; not so clouded. Grasses are of an unnatural green and the doves are flying through the garden. Nice." Phoenix looked at Cyrus. "Is that why you both have a distasteful facial expression?"

Ayden adjusted her crown for her. "You are late, Phoenix. Again."

Being late was unacceptable. So, what would happen if someone became late, wore something that doesn't look elegant to the level for royalties and had the audacity to stand straight and mock innocence.

"A continuum of bad happenings brought me here. Blame it for not contacting me sooner." Phoenix voiced out, the smirk still on her face. She was chaos and perfection intertwined; the hell with heaven and the storm with rainbow. Beautiful, yet lethal.

He interrogated in a sardonic voice at his sister, "Don't mind me asking but do you have any clue on what you are wearing?" And then he pointed at the black glasses she put, "And what's up with those?"

The figure in front of him was wearing whole black, not a sliver of skin visible outside other than her sun-kissed cheeks. Even her hair was jet to the level where it looked navy blue. She wasn't supposed to be clothed like someone who is going for a funeral, right? The only part which made her look like a King was the golden crown she wore, which was kept at an angle where it could fall off any moment in time.