5 years before the breakout- cut

Shane
"Can't we just pretend we're sick?" Isobel whispered while we waited on the curb for Dad to pick us up.
"Aren't you hungry?" she pouted and looked down. Dad was scary but at least when we were with him he fed us. Mom didn't even speak to us. The only times we ate were when she put food on a shelf we could reach or left something on the counter. It won't be as bad when we finally get taller.
"What if he tries to hurt you again?" I grabbed her shaking hand and squeezed trying to make her feel better. Dad gets mad at me sometimes when I do 'girl' things... it hasn't happened in like a month but we still don't play dolls or pretend at his house anymore.
"I can handle it..." she cries when she doesn't stop him but I don't want her to be sad. So I'll be tougher. It was almost two hours after Dad was supposed to pick us up when his car pulled up.
"Hey half pints" we climbed into the booster seats, careful to make sure I didn't sit in the pink one again. "You guys excited?" we both nodded thinking about Christmas dinner as we thawed in the warm car. Presents were okay too but I never really got anything I wanted. I don't mind though, I get money sometimes and I can buy stuff I like on the computer.

"Jay!" Carl ran up to me as soon as I got out of the car in front of his house. "Let's play G.I.Joes!" before I could say anything Carl dragged me away with Isobel running after us. Despite him being 6 and us being 8 he's taller making it easy for him to drag me around. When we got into his room a plastic man was forced into my hand and I was pulled onto the floor. "I'll be Snake eyes, you be Wild bill" I made a face at the toy before surveying the floor for a different one.
"Can I be this one?" I picked up another G.I.Joe dolly that looked pretty and way less grungy.
"Shouldn't Izzy be Scarlett?" Carl cocked his head.
"I wanna be this one!" Iz picked up a blue one with a shiny face. She likes shiny things right now.
"Thats Cobra commander, he's the bad guy" she shrugged turning the doll in the light from the window to try and make it show up on the ceiling. We played for a little bit, I was having fun being with Carl and Iz rather than from playing but I didn't complain. Until eventually Dad came in and knelt down to look at our little game. I pulled the toy closer to me, worried that even though G.I.Joes were for boys I wasn't allowed to play with toys that were girls.
"Hey Jay why don't you be... Gung Ho" dad handed me a burly looking man dolly and I grabbed it not wanting to get in trouble.
"Movie time!" we all dropped the dolls and ran downstairs to watch the annual animated Christmas movies while we ate dinner. Me and Iz have the same favorite Christmas movie and we sing our favorite Christmas songs whenever it comes on. The adults laugh as I sing mr cold miser and they practically fall on the floor as Iz just yells the lyrics to mr heat miser. After movies we got to open two presents each. One from Rick and Lori and one from Dad. All three of us opened the ones from Carls parents first. If I was gonna get a gift I liked it would be from Rick. I ripped open the paper and my face practically tore from smiling with excitement!
"Rainbow butterfly unicorn kitty!" I screeched clutching the plush kitten tightly before running up to tackle Rick and Lori in a bone crushing hug. "Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!" I made myself calm down at the blank look on dads face. He wasn't showing it on the outside but he was scowling on the inside. I watched as Carl cheered for his Cliffard toy and Iz her RC car before we went to Dads gifts. Carl raved about his lego set while Iz and I phoned in enthusiasm about her makeup kit and my toy construction truck set. We silently knew we'd just swap gifts when we got back to moms.

We were all sleeping over at the Grimes. Dad in the guest bedroom, and Iz and I on Carls pull out trundle bed. Carl and Iz fell asleep really early so I just played with my new plushie. Her name on the show is Felicity but I'm gonna name mine Lady Rainicorn like from adventure time. It was only around 9:30 when the bedroom door creaked open and I shoved Lady Rainicorn under my pillow incase it was dad. I let out a breath of relief when I saw Rick.
"I recorded the Christmas special from that show you like" I smiled wide as he nodded to my poorly hidden plush. I had told Rick Dad wouldn't let me watch Rainbow butterfly unicorn kitty, leaving out the part where he hit my legs with his belt.
"Really?!"I whisper shouted and he chuckled as I followed him to the den.
"Yeah, just don't stay up too late" Rick fiddled with the DVR before leaving me with Felicity's one hour Christmas special. I almost finished it when I heard him come back. I turned to face him and frowned seeing my dad.
"Hi Dad..." I whispered silently wishing none of this was real only to be jerked up by the hair.
"What did I tell you about watching that shit?!" he yelled in my face. His breathe reeked of way too much alcohol and that just scared me more.
"I-I'm sorry, I-" I tried to stutter out an apology only to shut up as a harsh hand came across my face. He slapped me two more times before he let go of my hair. I started crying as quietly as I could and he leaned in close to me.
"You suck it up and start acting like a man" he slapped me once more before turning off the tv and motioning for me to go to bed.