eight

⚓ ⚓ ⚓

⚓ ⚓ ⚓

Ellie's mother had always had her attend Deputon balls and pageants. Ellie had always hated them, even as a kid she could not stand to dress up an drive to Las Vegas every year. To her, it was annoying. She had won once, but she never kept the crown or even the sach that they would give for attending.

"Ellison, come down here!" her mother shouts from the bottom of the staircase, Ellie climbing out of bed. It was only seven o'clock, which for Ellie was way to early to wake up, especially in the summer.

"What?" she questions from the top of the stairs, a smile pleading from her mother's lips.

"So, Deputon is in September, are you signing up?" Asked Melodi. Melodi has done deputon her entire life and loved every second of it, even if she didn't win.

"In Las Vegas?" she questions, her mother sighing.

"No, in South Carolina," she says, putting her hands on her hips. "Charleston," Ellie crosses her arms and rolls her eyes.

"I don't want to, mom. I actually hate Deputon," She says, walking down the large staircase, her mother following her as she gets to the bottom. "I know you think I love it, but my entire life I've hated it."

"Nonsense. Deputon is your favorite!" she shouts, Ellie grabbing an apple and walking to the dock.

"I always said I loved it for you, but in reality, I hate it," Ellie hated telling her mother the truth, it actually killed her inside, but she knew that she wouldn't do it ever again. "I'm sorry," she walks out, going to her room to get changed.

As Ellie walked outside, she saw her mother sitting on one of the chairs looking at a magazine. "Ellie, maybe you should reconsider," she says, a voice disrupting her.

"Ms. Rendale!" Kie shouts, causing Ellie to smile. "Your daughter is needed," Ellie walked closer to the boat, still looking at her mom, mouthing 'love you'.

"Ellison! We are not done talking!" She ran to the boat, the four of them driving away, Ellie waving.

"We'll have her back before dark," JJ says, "maybe," he whispers, Ellie smiling as they drive away.

"So, where are we going now?" Ellie asks, the group turning to face the brown haired girl.

"John B's to find the compass," Ellie knew the compass wasn't in his house, she remembered the part of the story that John B told about the compass and how Ward Cameron still had it. She also remembered where Sarah had said he kept it: behind his painting of Denmark Tanny in his office.