Chapter 3

Badgerpaw was sitting on the rock, he always likes to sit on it when there's nothing to do, and the sunlight would usually be on his pelt which would create a warm temperature. Getting settled, Badgerpaw rested his head on his paws and watched the cats in the clearing. Owlstar was talking to his deputy Shadeclaw, the two cats were whispering in low noises and Owlstar looked around like he wanted to make sure no one was watching. Badgerpaw pricked his ears to hear what they were saying but he was too far away, all he could make out was mumbling and sound of the wind. Shiningpaw was talking to Echokit, the two of them playing.

Shiningpaw and Echokit really got along, Shiningpaw liked to play with Echokit and Badgerpaw hates to admit it but he was begining to feel a little jealous. Badgerpaw and Shiningpaw used to be close as well, they talked and played, but now Shiningpaw was paying more attention to Echokit rather than him. Cherrypool was eating a mouse not far off, she glanced at Echokit and Shiningpaw from time to time, she seemed happy that Shiningpaw was playing with her son. Badgerpaw hissed under his breath, he just wished Shiningpaw payed more attention to him than that stupid kit. Lashing his tail in anger, Badgerpaw looked away. Sometimes, Badgerpaw wonders what's it like in DawnClan, he's never seen a DawnClan cat or been at gathering yet.

He missed two gatherings by accident, he happened to be injured just at the right moment before the gathering, he didn't intend to. One time, he wasn't watching where he was putting his paw-steps and he clumsily tripped and fell into a bush of thorns, there were a lot of thorns there and it took painful days to remove it. Even tho Berryflight was trying to act nice and kind, Badgerpaw could see how annoyed she really was and Badgerpaw couldn't blame her. Closing his eyes, Badgerpaw sighed to himself sadly. He wished his mentor was just like Shiningpaw's, Shiningpaw got Owlstar - a Clan leader as her mentor! She's so lucky. But unfortunately for Badgerpaw, his mentor is Flinchpelt. Flinchpelt is a nice and noble warrior, but sometimes Badgerpaw wished he was as lucky as Shiningpaw.

Shiningpaw has a bright smile, a bright personality... Shiningpaw is amazing cat and Badgerpaw would do anything to be with her. Looking at the she-cat, he could still see that she was playing with Echokit and jealousy pricked in his pelt again. "Badgerpaw!" Startled, Badgerpaw jumped to his paws and looked at the cat in front of him, Owlstar was approaching him, his yellow eyes stared at Badgerpaw confidently. Badgerpaw pricked his ears in surprise, he had no idea why Owlstar wanted to speak to him, but he didn't argue. Getting up on his four paws, Badgerpaw looked up at him leader with confusion. "Badgerpaw, you, me and Berryflight are going in DawnClan's camp. We have an important announcement to make, and bringing you would be good for you. You don't know DawnClan's territory at all, Shiningpaw went there once and now it's your time. We must deliver the important news." Owlstar said, Shadeclaw walked over to his leader hesitantly.

"But Owlstar, isn't it a little risky to bring only a medicine cat and an apprentice?" Shadeclaw asked, Owlstar turned his head around to look at the tabby tom in front of him, he twitched his wishers in annoyance but kept a calm face. "Are you doubting your leader?" Owlstar asked his deputy, Shadeclaw stared at Owlstar in surprise. "Of course not, Owlstar. I was just thinking about maybe brining one warrior with you?" Shadeclaw suggested, Owlstar shook his head in response, looking at Badgerpaw again. "We're only delivering the news, nothing will go wrong. Badgerpaw, wait here. I'll go get Berryflight." Owlstar ordered, Badgerpaw raised his head and nodded confidently as he watched Owlstar make his way over to medicine cats den.

Shadeclaw was already walking away, he walked over to Flamestreak and started talking to the ginger she cat. Badgerpaw could see how much Shadeclaw liked the she-cat, everyone could see it. But Flamestreak is the only one who doesn't notice. "Hey Badgerpaw, what was Owlstar talking to you about?" Hearting a familiar voice Badgerpaw can recognize anywhere, he looked at the beautiful she-cat in front of him, her pelt was tabby yellow, but it sparked like shining stars and her eyes were amber like flames. "O-oh um..." Badgerpaw looked down, his pelt burning with shame. He might have stared at Shiningpaw for too long. "He told me we're going to DawnClan's camp. He must deliver some news to Flowerstar." Badgerpaw said, at his words Shiningpaw seemed to smile. "You must be excited!" Shiningpaw said with a small jump making Badgerpaw chuckle. She can be childish sometimes.