she didn't listen

her mother told her not to go near the water, but the toddler didn't listen. she was intrigued by the glass-like waves and simply couldn't resist temptation.

she left behind her sandcastle and her mother's supervision. she waddled over to the foamy ocean and stared for a moment in awe, listening to the peaceful yet thunderous sound. she dipped her dainty toe in, then giggled at the chill.

soon the small child was wading into the ocean, her mother reading a book, not paying attention. the older lady thought her daughter was still playing in the sand, like she always did when they came out to the beach. but she never would again.

the waves soon became rougher, taking the little girl by surprise. the farther she went, the deeper it became. there was no lifeguard there to see the little toddler thrashing around in the deep blue sea. she let out a high-pitched scream as she started sinking under.

and then, like a dream had become a nightmare,
like something beautiful had become a monster,
she was gone.

the thrashing soon stopped,
and the bubbles ceased to rise to the surface. a faded pink sunhat floated to the top, and that was all that was left of the little girl, who was allured to the mysterious waters, and brought to her death.