7 | Rengoku Kyojuro

The Lost Lullaby
An X Reader
No Manga Spoilers

Author's Note:
Written longer than expected.

Rengoku Kyojuro had recently done his business in the middle of night, so he left the bathroom and proceeded to go through the hallways for his room. However, a melancholic tune caught his attention. He looked for the source of the sound, only to see a silhouette of a lady, caressing, he's assuming, a younger boy in a futon. It was only three doors away from his private room. He stood there as he listened to the woman's voice full of felicity. He leaned back on a sturdy wall and gave out a soft smile. Kyojuro could stay there for a while just to enjoy the alluring singing. It was different indeed, and it sounded like it was an original composition. (Inspired by Isabella's Lullaby)

It was broken off however. It was too soon, and he was eager to hear more. Yet, his attention went back to the one who held the mellifluous voice, as he heard a sigh. Shifting then came after, as the source of light was now carried. The silhouette of the woman became bigger and the sliding doors pry open. The pillar stood straight and made it looked like he was passing by, yet failed as his flustered face met with the surprised woman.

Her face heated up and she was quite tense. "Oh, I'm sorry, did I wake you up?"

Kyojuro gave out his signature smile. "No, I was just walking around."

She softened at the gesture. "You must be a pillar. Come, I will escort you to your chamber." She then lifted the lit lamp up, and walked ahead of the man. Kyojuro followed behind. He asked. "Are you new around here?"

Her eyes glance at him. "Yes, just two days ago." She smiled. Even though it was dark, it was visible to him. "I'm glad you're safe along with the younger ones from the 'train' ordeal."

"Ah, well, it was thanks to that boy Kamado and his companions." He chuckled, remembering the trio. He looked at the back of the maiden. He was about to ask the question, but his eyes dart to the familiar positon of his room. The maiden lowered the lamp and faced him with a soft smile. "Have a good night, sir."

"Rengoku. Rengoku Kyojuro." He approached the door to his room closer, now a few inches away from the singer. He awaited for a reply, or a short introduction. Yet, instead, she bowed. "I'll see you around, Rengoku-san." She met his golden eyes and immediately left, returning to the path she took towards her room. The pillar sighed. I didn't even get to hear her name.

After that, he went inside his room and collided with peaceful slumber.

The next day, there was a sudden meeting held at the Ubayashiki's. Pillars were called, and by the time Rengoku arrived, his eyes darted to a laughing Uzui Tengen patting a younger boy's head. The fire pillar greeted the others with his usual smile, before approaching the sound hashira.

"Kyojuro! I would like you to meet Yukio." Uzui smiled, gesturing at the boy beside him. It looked like he is around Senjuro's age. "He's my cousin!" The latter bowed before the hashira. His hair was a deep hazelnut color, and he wore a simple yukata. Yukio stood straight, his emerald eyes glistening in the sunlight. Kyojuro patted the boy's head in adoration. "What brings you here, Yukio?" The hashira asked.

"I went here to check on Oji-san and Sofu-san!" Yukio gleamed. Kyojuro smiled at the giggly boy.

"By the way, who's the new recruit?" Kyojuro asked the sound hashira before him, who only chuckled in response. His reply went along the lines of, "A friend of mine."