6. Meetings

The room Raja and Rosemund entered was elegantly appointed in crimson and gold, giving the impression of a smoldering fire. Having never been into Rosemund's bed-chamber, the opulence of its decor struck him as strange. A scattering of precious metals and jewels interrupted the delicate embroidery of luxurious fabrics throughout the room. The indulgence did not fit the person he thought Rosemund was. But he could not take the time to puzzle at the contradiction. Raja had to focus on his mission. Raja quickly scanned the room and attempted to ignore everything but his query.

Finally, he found her. Natalia lay in the large bed at the center of the room. An ancient canopy decorated with depictions of Elemental Fire hung above the platform, casting shadows over her face. The odd lighting and gaudy surroundings should have obscured her identity. Yet, Raja recognized her from the images Lukas had given him. Raja strode towards Natalia but stopped at a gesture from Rosemund.

Confused by Rosemund's calm, Raja chose to observe without protest. Truth often became apparent by allowing events to unfold. The Superior continued to the bed and sat next to Natalia, lifting her head onto her lap. The burgundy of the novice robe Natalia wore blended with Rosemund's. For a moment, Raja could not see where one cloth ended and the other began.

"Little one," the Superior murmured as she stroked Natalia's scarred cheek. "It is time to go. Raja is here."

Natalia's eyes opened and immediately found him. Raja stepped back from her piercing stare before he could stop himself.

"I see him in you," croaked a small hoarse voice from within her frail body. "Lukas lives. He loves. He has bonded again," she closed her eyes and whispered. "Let me go."

Anguish surged through Raja's body. It had to be from her; the suffering was unlike any he had felt. Even with his minimal talent, Raja quickly blocked the weak projection, but the residual echoes of her distress remained. Raja understood the Priestess' regrets better now. While he and Lukas had lived in relative comfort, this woman had lived in horrifying captivity. With so much misery in her life, did he do her a favor by saving it?

Raja suspected her love for Lukas had given Natalia the ambition to live when she could have ended her torture years ago. That love could unmake everything Raja held dear, yet he would finish his task and save her.

"Little one, you must continue to live for Lukas," Rosemund cooed. "He knows you live and has sent his mate for you. Lukas might not survive losing you again." The Priestess settled one of her hands on Natalia's shoulders as she spoke.

Raja stared at both women in silence. Only then did he grieve what had happened to this woman, what he had done to her. Though he could not regret his time with Lukas, he felt remorse for his decisions, though he suspected he would make them again. In any case, the Priestess was right. Lukas might not survive her loss again.

"Can she travel? Is she well enough?" Raja finally found his voice.

"We have not had enough time to heal her completely. We thought it more important to sever the bonds to the Earth Order and to let Natalia rest," Rosemund answered with almost an apology. Natalia had closed her eyes again.

"Before now, we have only provided small healings while Natalia slept. This healing would have been stronger if I had more time or prepared more. But it will have to be enough for now. It will keep her alive until Water magic can touch her.". With a gentle smile at the silent Natalia, Rosemund began chanting; the fire in the hearth danced in response. Raja watched as the magic manifested as a small flame in the Priestess' free hand and traveled from the older Priestess to the younger. The Fire flickered along Natalia's skin and disappeared.

"I hear laughter," Natalia whispered, her soft voice startling Raja. He had thought her asleep.

"Ah!" The Fire priestess exclaimed with happy surprise. "We believe the Fire God laughs as he heals only when pleased at the request. I hope this is true, and he will do more for you than my strength should allow. But Fire can be unpredictable."