2

I need some holy water for my brain
•••

"I don't care how undeniably sexy he is, Erin," I told my best friend as I threw my second suitcase in the trunk of Ryder's silver Ferrari. "No dick is better than ten million dollars."

"Except for his," Erin replied with a snort, "considering he's worth just over four billion. He could be your sugar daddy, K."

I was just about to laugh when I heard someone familiar clear their throat from behind us. I groaned and turned around, staring up at Ryder as he glared at the two of us. I grinned sheepishly, watching as he crossed his arms he took the last suitcase from me and walked to his car. Turning back to Erin, I continued to speak in a mumble;

"Even if that were to happen, which it won't," I said, "the last thing on my mind is to try to get with a British brute."

"It better be," Ryder spoke up, making me turn around with an eye-roll. "This isn't for you to goof off in another country, you hear me? This trip is for you to find the bastard, shoot him between the eyes, and leave. Nothing more."

I waved him off, standing next to my best friend. "I'm always professional... I'll just do a bit more extra work—"

"Kiara."

I laughed. "I'm kidding, Ryder. God, you're so old. I'll be in and out of that place, okay? A couple days at the most to figure out my plan and then I get my money."

"That's if you do your job," Ryder reminded me, making me grunt and turn to kiss Erin's cheek.

"Don't do too much without me," I told her, "and don't fall for Murphy's charm, unfortunately it works."

Ryder smacked the back of my head and I laughed, holding it before I gave her another quick hug. Ryder grabbed my backpack and walked towards his car, making me roll my eyes.

"Try not to kill your brother on the way to the plane," Erin told me with a grin. "Oh, and tell me if Mr. Hunky's even better looking in person."

I chuckled, shaking my head to myself. "I'll do my best to sneak a picture just for you."

"Really?"

"No, I couldn't care less about this case if it weren't for the fact that I'm getting ten million from this."

Erin laughed, making me grin and wave before walking towards Ryder's car. Once I was in, he turned his head to face me, his eyes narrowed at me.

"What'd I do this time?" I said with a groan, making Ryder roll his eyes and start driving off.

"You need to start acting more—"

"Not this fucking lecture again..."

"—professional about your assessments. This is more than just having fun and then doing what you need to, you hear me? This is about how good our business will look to everyone else. Not only that but it'll give yourself a better name for Dad."

"Ha!" I let out, shaking my head. "Fuck him. He completely abandoned me after Mom died and started treating me colder than ever. I can tell the difference between pushing us to become better and being a dick just for the hell of it; he's like that with you and me.