29

😏😏😏
•••

My leg bounced uncontrollably as I paced back and forth. Tears stained my cheeks and my eyes burned from the mascara that got stuck in it, my bottom lip wobbling every time I even glanced at the door to the operation room. My body hasn't stopped trembling since we arrived, and I didn't even try to speak knowing I'd throw up if I opened my mouth.

"Kiara, I didn't—"

When my eyes met Ryder's, he immediately shut up. I clenched my hands in rage and could feel it taking over, so I quickly looked away and continued to pace.

This could have had a better outcome. He could have had a better outcome. Too much happened for him to be able to handle anything else. All Ryder had to do was fucking listen to what I told him.

Why the fuck didn't he just listen?

•••
TEN HOURS AGO...

"Ryder," I breathed out, watching with wide eyes as he stood in front of us, a gun pointed right at Niklaus. "Don't."

Ryder laughed, his eyes murderous as he moved his gaze from Niklaus to me. My body was frozen in fear as I held his stare, not knowing how to react. Never have I seen him like this and I had no idea what fucking lies my father put into my head to make him look so... evil.

"Get the fuck away from him, Kiara," Ryder muttered to me. "I know everything."

"What?" I said, raising an eyebrow.

"Dad told me," he said, his hand tightening around the gun. "This sonofabitch really does have it in your mind that he loves you, huh? What? You think because he knocked you up he's going to stay with you?"

"Ryder—"

"You aren't the first, Kiara," he snapped out, making me raise an eyebrow. "You have no idea who he really is."

I glanced at Nik only to find that he wasn't scared at all. Our eyes met and I saw his lips purse, knowing that he was trying to figure out who I trusted more.

"And Dad told you this?" I said, taking the smallest of steps back. Niklaus and Murphy followed.

"His ex," Ryder told me with narrowed eyes.

At the same time, Niklaus and I snorted. Horrible timing in this situation, I know.

"Really," I slowly spoke, pursing my lips. "So, Nik knocked up his ex, too. Any photos? DNA samples? Hey, did she also tell you that he raped her during your meet-up?"

Ryder didn't answer, his eyes losing their confidence. I raised an eyebrow.

"You don't understand," Ryder breathed out slowly. "I have to do this."

"That's a load of bullshit," I laughed sarcastically. "Do it then. If you think Niklaus is such a horrible monster then do it."

Ryder's grip on the gun would tighten, then loosen. My face was void of emotion but my heart was pounding in my throat as I waited for him to make a move.