𝙞 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚.

"Ricky! The Salazar-Roberts are here! Come play with Nini!" Lynne called up the stairs

A Saturday playdate wasn't uncommon for the Bowen's and Salazar-Roberts. Carol, one of Nini's moms, and Lynne, Ricky's mom, grew up next to each other, making them destined best friends. They grew up dreaming of their kids being best friends and nothing would stop them. When Lynne and Mike, Ricky's dad, got married, they moved to the same street as Carol and her fiancé, Dana. Richard was born about a year later. For Carol and Dana, once they got married, adoption was tricky. In 2003, two women getting married and adopting wasn't the most 'normal' scenario. But the day they got the news that they'd be the mothers of a baby from a 15 year old girl, they couldn't believe it. The day Nini was born was the best day of their lives. Taking her home was their dream. Carol can remember the day clear as day when Ricky met baby Nini, he was about to turn two years old. Mike laughed as Nini grabbed Ricky's chubby hand in her own curled fist. At 6 days old, Carol and Lynne were already planning the wedding for their babies.

Now here they are, 7 year old Nini and 9 year old Ricky. Well, Nina and Richard. They gave each other nicknames when Ricky couldn't pronounce his As and Nini refused to call anyone under the age of 30 Richard. At 9 years old, Ricky thought every girl except his mom was gross. Actually, he didn't think Nini was gross. But he'd never tell anyone that, not even his mom. Ricky came down the stairs to see Nini and her moms. Ricky didn't understand the feelings he got when he saw Nini. In her light pink dress, Ricky couldn't take his eyes off of the 4 foot girl in front of him.

Nini was exactly the same. She looked at Ricky like he was a star in the sky. He was so pretty to her.

"Hey Ricky!" Carol greeted him, causing Ricky to tear his eyes away from Nini. "Nini has a loose tooth, so be careful when you two are playing."

Ricky nodded, grabbing the smaller girls hand as pulled her outside to his treehouse.

Nini couldn't stop smiling, running her tongue over loose front tooth. She's never lost a tooth before, but Ricky bragged about how he's lost 3. She wanted to impress him in the best way a 7 year old could.

"So, what do you wanna do today, Nini?" Ricky asked after they climbed up the treehouse.

Nini looked around, "Can we play dolls?"

Ricky scoffed, "Absolutely not." He refused to play dolls even though he hated saying no to Nini.

She pouted but looked around the large playhouse. She spotted a red cape crumpled up in a corner. "Can we play superhero? You can save me!" Nini smiled brightly at the taller boy.

"I'd beat you up." Ricky sneered. Nini pouted and crossed her arms walking away from Ricky. Ricky felt his heart drop, he never wanted to see a sad face on her.

----

Mike, Lynne, Carol and Dana were all gathered on the patio, drinking wine coolers as their kids played together.

"You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky has a crush on little Nini." Mike said, looking at them sitting on the swings together. They were having a competition on who could swing the highest, Ricky was letting Nini win.

Dana laughed, "Of course, he's so smitten for her."

"You two are crazy," Lynne smiled, "Ricky's in his cooties phase."

"One day he'll grow out of Lynne." Mike smiled at his wife. Carol agreed with Lynne, Ricky definitely didn't have a crush on Nini.

Ricky felt something for Nini, but not all 9 year old's know what a crush feels like.

----

"Mommy, please! Ricky said EJ and Red are going to be there, can I please bring Kourtney and Ashlyn?" Nini cried. It was the annual Fourth of July party at the Bowen's, and this time Nini would be having be having her first slumber party. Sure, she'd slept over at Ricky's before, but only her. She's spent the night with Kourtney and Ashlyn too, but separately. She didn't want to feel left out with all boys.

"Fine, let me talk to Lynne." Carol sighed as she walked to the home phone to call her best friend.

And like always, the Bowen's would do anything for little Nini.

----

It was 12 am, the latest Nini had every stayed up. She was in Ricky's basement in one of his sweatshirts and a pair of pajama shorts. She got cold and forgot to bring one, so Ricky scrambled to make her happy and let her borrow one.

His favorite, but Nini didn't need to now that.

EJ, Red, Kourtney, Ashlyn, Ricky, and Nini were all sitting in a circle playing truth or dare. Nini just received a truth from EJ, asking her who she had a crush. Nini blushed a deep red and said no one, eyeing Ricky who was looking anywhere but the little girl.

"Okay, Ricky. Truth or dare?" Nini asked him.

"Dare."

Kourtney and Ashlyn whispered to her what to ask him, telling her to dare him to kiss her. She shook her head no, but Kourtney's very convincing.

"I-I, uh, I dare you to kiss me." She whispered, avoiding Ricky's gaze. Ricky felt like he couldn't breathe. "It was Kourtney's idea, not mine!"

Ricky felt every single insect inside his stomach, feeling like Nini was the only person in the room with her. He'd seen his parents kiss before, it should be easy. He stood up and sat criss-cross in front of Nini.

He leaned in, an inch away from Nini's lips, when she squeaked and ran away.

To say Ricky was disappointed was an understatement.

----

hello! i started a new short story! i had this idea while i was in the starbucks line lmao. but i hope u enjoy!

- norie