Chapter 7: Colorado Bound

Jill informed us that she has good reason to believe that her friend Joe was hiding out in Colorado. She said that he would probably go back there because that was the original home that he lived at with his parents and siblings.

Joe supposedly used to be the head Secret Service agent that was with Jill at all times I was informed. Two months before all hell broke loose he quit out of nowhere and was never seen again. I thought this was really suspicious and hopefully, when we find him he would give us some more answers that we were looking for.

That night we got all the equipment and supplies packed in the black SUV that we were going to take for the trip. All eight of us were all able to fit in the one SUV, with everything packed in the trunk. I could tell you already though that it was going to be a long car ride for all of us.

We decided to hit the road that night to try and avoid any detours that we might run across. That was fine with me because the sooner we found this Joe person the sooner we could get the power turned back on.

Mitch volunteered to take the first shift in driving as Kevin joined him to keep him company in the passenger seat. Jill on the other hand joined all the rest of us in the back of the vehicle.

"Mitch, can I ask you something?" Kevin said as he was the first to start a conversation on this road trip.

"Yeah, of course," he answered. "What's up?"

"Why are we going so slow?" Kevin asked.

"Because 55 is the speed limit," he answered as we all started to look at each other.

"Mitch," Kevin began with a sigh. "It doesn't matter what the speed limit says there's no one living here."

"Oh, I forgot about that," Mitch laughed as he began to pick up more speed. "Sorry guys."

We all laughed at this. I realized though how I haven't laughed in a long time. I mean when you're stuck in a prison camp there's nothing to laugh at. I had already begun to feel connected to all these people as if they were my new family. We had all been through so much already and what was to come was still unknown.

It had been only two hours into the car ride and the sun had set revealing the moon for the night. It was pitch black outside though and I couldn't see a thing outside. Thankfully the car had working headlights so we were at least able to see the road.

"Do you really think this friend of yours can really get the power back on?" I asked Jill as I tried to make time go by faster.

"I have no doubt," she told me. "He could get his way around anything. He's the one who told me about the human cloning but he soon left after he found out about it. I don't blame him though."

"Do you think they were able to make clones?" I asked her hoping for an answer that wouldn't scare me.

"Honestly, I don't really know what to think," Jill answered as she began to look out the side window. "If anyone knows if they were able to though Joe would."

"Can we really trust this Joe person?" I asked as I tried to get more details. "I just find it quite suspicious him leaving right before all hell broke loose."

"I know it sounds unconvincing," Jill began to explain. "But you can. I trust him with my life. He saved me from some pretty nasty situations before and was always there for me. He's a good friend to have around and an even better ally to have on your side."

"If you trust him then I can trust him as well," I said. "The more allies we have the better."

"Thanks for understanding," Jill replied with a bright smile. "Once we get the power back on hopefully more people will see our chance and join us in stopping Cerberus once and for all."