Chapter 2 : Cold Feet

Alma

I wake to a draft of stale air whistling through my room.Tendrils of air snake around my arms and legs, as if they are whispering to me. Speaking to me, as if to relay a message with great urgency.

Bolting upright, I send a cascade of throw pillows throughout the room. Ready to swing my feet over the bed, the whispers beat me to it.

In shock of what I'm witnessing, I cant help but stare in awe. The tendrils of air pair with the whispers, making strands of code.
The strands of code unite themselves together, weaving themselves into textured fabrics.

The end result being a single top hat in the deepest shades of midnight blue. With a sparkling band so shiny, it's as if it was made up of fragments of stars.

Hesitantly reaching out, I notice an insigna or an academy crest. Its reads: Fated Lambs, in swirling gold embroidery. My fingers graze the rim while a girls materializes beneath it.

"Cold Feet, huh?" She says with the subtle quirk of a blond eyebrow.

After several silent seconds, I speak.
"Y-you can talk?" I rasp through my tight throat.

"No sherbert, if the rest of the others are this bad, curse the fates." Her voice holds  a melodramatic tone, with a mixture of sarcasm.

"W-who are y-you? Who are the others? What are you?" I say, with a lost sense of curiosity.

"One at a time, child, your worse than the press." Huffing aside, she tucks her chin length curls behind her ears. Her face is all business as she continues.

"My name is Dekka and I'm--"
I hold out my hand to shake hers, the only normal thing I've attempted thus far today.

"I already know your name Alma August. To be quite frank with you, I dont want to come near those hands, what they have done is more shameful than that awful haircut of yours."

I've reached the end of my fuse and I haven't even gotten to the bus yet. Barging in my room before the alarm, scaring my skin off and dissing my hair. My mouth opens as she cuts me off.

"Your style will be addressed later. I'm a keeper. All you need to know is that I signed a deal with my fate--"

"Making you immortal?"

"Yes, what the fates is up with the inturuptions?" When I don't awnser, she rolls her icy blue eyes at me.

"I'm here to be your keeper. The keeper of the awnsers to your questions."

"Like a super visor?"

"No, like a keeper." She all but growls.

"You fit the description of a cranky supervisor more than a keeper."

"Do with my title what you will. What I'm really here to tell you, is that you have been given a second chance to redeem your sins. Don't be fooled, you need to exceed those corrections." Clearing her throat we lock eyes, hers boring into mine.

"Your new body has an experation date, you and eighteen others. If you fail to redeem yourself, you will perish slow enough to watch everything you've ever loved fade form this world. Until you dissolve with it."

"You lost me at new body. What are you talking about?"

"See for yourself, young vampire." She says with a wicked smile that manages to stretch her full lips thin.