Chapter 37: Behind Everyone's Backs

PRETTY SOLDIER SAILOR MOON: FUTURE

Chapter 37: Behind Everyone's Backs

Once Masato dropped JunJun and Midori off back at the apartment, the girls went to the former's suite and found a note from Chibi-Usa telling them that they had gone to the arcade for a while.

"Guess they're lettin' some steam off since they couldn't go to Makoto's," JunJun shrugged.

"I think this would be a good opportunity to ask you about Masato's connection with that jewelry store," Midori said.

"Ah... Well, that's kind of complicated... You know that the queen and the planetary Sailor Soldiers were active in the 20th century, right?"

"Yes, I do."

"Well, Osaka Naru was one of the queen's friends, but she and two of her Soldiers were fighting against Lord Nephrite at the time. For reasons I can't even begin to fathom, Naru became infatuated with him while he was using his Sanjouin Masato guise. But then Lord Zoisite was ordered by the one who brainwashed them, Queen Beryl, into killing Lord Nephrite due to his failures. Let's just say that it was extremely violent, and that Naru witnessed his death."

"Sounds like there are a lot of details being skimmed over, but the basic premise will suffice."

"Yeah, sorry. I'm not good with these kinds of stories."

"Hmm..." Midori sat down and pondered this new information for a bit. "So Makoto still thinks about her old boyfriend, and likewise with Masato about Naru."

"The problem is that Masato and Makoto are engaged, and I hear that Naru is about to marry someone as well."

"Who is Naru's fiancé?"

"I think his name was Yoshiwara Jouji."

"Never heard that name before. In any case, there are some obvious unresolved emotions going on beneath the surface. Call it a bad hunch if you will, but if I were part of the Animus Syndicate, I would notice this kind of discord hiding within their hearts and take advantage of it."

"Eh heh... Don't you think you're reading into this a little too much?" JunJun stammered.

Midori didn't say anything to refute her friend's claim. She fully understood how terrifying Eris could be when it came to turning an insignificant spat into an irresolvable calamity, but she knew that as 'Sailor Arsenic Hyena', not as 'Inuken Midori'.

"Oh, that could be it!" the Amazonian exclaimed out of nowhere. "Would it have something to do with that guy you mentioned before!? Something like you broke up with him and are worried about the same thing with Makoto and Masato not being able to let go!?"

Well... That's a rather unusual opening, but I'll take what I can get, Midori thought as she said, "Something like that, although we parted on civil terms."

"I see, I see, that makes sense! You also know about what our enemy is like and how they might turn these emotions into their next meal! If that's the case, then I'm all for it!"

"'All for' what?"

"Doing a little investigative work, that's what! If we know how Makoto and Masato are feeling, then we should get Naru's side of the story tomorrow!"

"I suppose so. Who knows if she still thinks about Nephrite's death, or if she's aware of him being alive again."

"Exactly! How about we meet up out front tomorrow morning and go to Osa-P to ask her!"

"We should have a good precedent for going there, lest we sound too abrupt to her."

"Meh, I'll let you deal with that. You up for it?"