Chapter 48: Furnace of War and Terror

PRETTY SOLDIER SAILOR MOON: FUTURE

Chapter 48: Furnace of War and Terror

Just as Midori suspected, Apis revealed herself and smiled cheerfully as she said, "You're not getting away this time."

"I figured you would do something like this. You always liked attacking with higher numbers rather than fighting your own battles."

"This coming from someone who relies on sneak attacks."

"I'm an archer. That's the way I'm supposed to fight."

"And I am a genius. My intellect is my greatest weapon."

"Hmph," Midori coolly scoffed while glaring at the dolls surrounding her. Without warning, all except the child mannequin robotically raised their arms and shot thin lines of string at her, wrapping around her body so tightly that indentations formed on her skin. Then the child-like doll's head jerked uncontrollably, and the slot containing the Apple of Discord opened up for Midori to gape at in horror.

"That's ridiculous!" she yelped at Apis. "Rei should have been able to sense its presence long ago!"

"Heh heh heh! You think I wouldn't account for that? That doll is a special model I made that can project a field that blocks those who have ESP. Anything that is placed inside it will not be detected by anyone with psychic powers until the object is removed."

"Damn it... What are you going to do?"

"Don't worry. I don't have any intention of killing you. It'd be a shame to lose my fellow partner in academia!"

"So you're taking me back..."

"Quit resisting, Hyena. You know you want to hear the truth from us."

Midori had to keep control of her panic so the Apple of Discord wouldn't feed on it, yet she couldn't do anything to break free from her binds. She tried to object by remarking, "I am not going to become a Camarilla. I already told that to Naja and Varan, so I don't know why I have to yell you."

"I know that. I also know that your mission is completely pointless."

"And why is that? Can't you just tell me right here and now?"

Apis clenched her teeth in what appeared to be anxiety. "I think... it'd be better if all four of us told you."

"You're just making excuses. If all of you wanted to tell me together, then just come here as a group and talk to me. There's no need to drag me to Upala's castle kicking and screaming. If we really are friends, then let's discuss things in a calm, rational manner."

"Look, I've had enough of this! We won't force you to become one of us, but all of our data is back at HQ! I know how much you prefer hard evidence over ambiguous testimony, so if you want to see it for yourself, you have to come with me!"

This piqued Midori's curiosity, even though she suspected that it was a trap of some kind. She closed her eyes and thought about what to do next; either go with Apis and negotiate with her Alkiman comrades, or stay on Earth and be forced to tell Chibi-Usa the truth. She blocked all outside interference and concentrated on weighing her options, balancing the pros and cons of each choice to determine which one would be better.

****

In front of the shrine, VesVes guided families to their seats while Rei escorted the children to the front so she could begin blessing them. VesVes approached her and wondered, "Where's Midori? She's supposed to have come back from her walk by now."