62| The Uprising And The Orphans

Cloud returns to South Silver Oak Academy a few weeks later, partially glad to see that it's still in one piece and hasn't been struck down by some freak tragedy brought about by his bad luck.

The grounds are littered with fallen leaves made up of muddy ambers and burnt oranges that fall off the trees with help from the constant breeze swaying them back and forth.

Cloud looks up at the sound of squirrels zipping around in the ones above his head but he fails to spot any besides the one actively digging up the ground to bury the acorns that it gathered.

He always thought that the Academy felt a little lifeless during the Summer months and is glad to see that has changed now that years two to four have returned.

He blends into the masses heaving heavy carrier bags and luggage inside, instruments, scientific equipment, sports wear, it varies from person to person.

It would be a lie if he said he hadn't missed this place or at least wondered about the things he was missing out on. The more he thinks about it, the more jealous he becomes, thinking up all sorts of cool stuff they might have done whilst he was gone.

But then the jealousy fades when he thinks about his new techniques and the experiences he went through under the eagle-eyed guidance of Ali, acknowledging both the good and bad parts as equals. Not all of his suffering was worth the effort but most of it he found beneficial, especially when the results showed themselves in his channelling.

Cloud finds Casey first after he leaps on top of one of the cafeteria tables and lets out a blood curdling scream. "Kill it! Somebody kill it right now! I'm not playing!"

He spots Sammy, Justin, Topher and Neith also sitting down and decides to join them. "What's with all the shouting?" he inquires as he approaches the table.

By the looks on their faces he can tell none of them had expected to see him show up out of the blue; wide eyed with shocked gasps and forced smiles as they try to figure out when he got back.

That is true for all except Casey who doesn't seem to register it at first, far too focused on escaping from whatever he wants dead. "Oh hey Cloud, you got any bug spray or something heavy that I can pulverise a spider from hell with?"

"On me, no, but how big are we talking?"

Casey makes a large circle with his hands, holding it up to his face before showing him. "This thing looks prehistoric, like a tarantula or a-"

"-he's over exaggerating, perusal." Neith remarks, cutting Casey off before he can go on further, absently chewing on the end of a lacey sweet on the opposite side of the table.

"Wait, Cloud, you're back!" Casey utters, stepping down from the table and practically leaping into his arms.

"Dude, it took you long enough to notice."

"What did you do to your hair, did you grow it out? Let me see." he asks once they separate, trying to touch before being promptly rejected. "It looks super curly, ow!"

"Hands off."

"You've been gone for forever and not two minutes in you're already smacking me away. Did the Monks teach you nothing? Wasn't it supposed to be all kumbaya and peace be with you?"

"The Monks taught me a bunch of less boring things. If you don't believe me you can ask them yourself." Cloud teases, smiling harder once Casey sulks off.

"Whatever man, I'm so over you already."

"And your tarantula...is just a cute little guy, see." Topher adds, rolling his hands over one another as he lets the spider crawl along his fingers on a sort of never ending treadmill.