Chapter 1

Marinette's POV

All I wanted was to go and sleep. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't sleep. My body wouldn't physically allow me. My eyes would flutter shut, and I'd be met with horrific sights of both of my parents. It was either them standing over me with weapons in hand, one of them with an evil glint in their eyes, or many other images I wanted to never relive again.

Neither Adrien or I slept a wink. Probably because I didn't sleep, and he felt the need to stay up with me. He had been living off of hospital cafeteria coffee for the past two days. The bags under his eyes and the way his posture wasn't as perfect as it usually was told me that he needed a few hours of shuteye.

I kept telling him, "You should sleep."

He would shake his head before I was even finished, and tell me, "Who's going to keep you company when I sleep? The heart monitor? The IV fluids? No, they will not, so I have to stay up."

The first two or three times I argued, and tried to persuade him to sleep for a while. My attempts to get him to nap were futile, so I let him stay up and talk to me.

Adrien got me out of the hospital as fast as he could. He had to have his father's assistant, Natalie, fly in and sign papers for me before the hospital would let me leave. After calling her, it only took two hours before she arrived. Mind you, it was about two in the morning.

To avoid the press, who had been seen swarming the entrance, we took a back exit. We reached the familiar black town car after going down a few flights of stairs. My sleep deprived and immobile-hospital body was not used to the slight cardio, so I was very much winded when I got into the car. Wordlessly, as if he could read minds, Adrien's driver handed me a bottle of chilled water.

"Thank...you," I thanked him through ragged breaths.

Natalie positioned herself in the front of the car, and Adrien was in the middle with me. One empty seat separated the two of us, but Adrien's hand held mine so we weren't really apart.

The ride to the airport was quite short. All of our stuff had been boarded on the plane. After a very quick TSA check, we were through and on the private plane. Me, not being used to the lavish private jet kind of life, was once again marveled by the kind of money it took to have one of these. The interior was still the same; sleek, gray leather seats, a small bar, a big flat screen TV placed in front of all the seats, and two tables in between the seats. I filed into one of the seats near a table, and Adrien filled in the seat next to me. Adrien's driver and Natalie sat a row away from us.

"Now are you going to sleep?" I asked Adrien.

He shook his golden locks, "Marinette, I have to be awake so if there's turbulence, I can assure you that it's nothing."

I opened my mouth to say something, but Adrien held up a hand to stop me. I decided to leave it at that. The plane ride was a blur, and I was glad that Adrien didn't sleep because the turbulence did scare me. Once we had landed, we simply went from the plane to the town car. That ride seemed slow. I don't know why, but Adrien wasn't sleeping yet. 

"Sleep," I told him, more as an order than a suggestion

"Nope, no, non," he said right back to me.

I began to ask him to be reasonable and sleep, but was interrupted by the town car stopping. Although, we weren't at the Agreste mansion. We were at my house. I whipped my head toward Adrien.

I asked, "What are we doing here?"

Before Adrien could speak, Natalie answered, "You will be moving into the mansion with Adrien. Neither of you have parents, so I am now your legal guardian."