Chapter 16

5 WEEKS LATER

I sat in the town car taking some deep breaths. I couldn't freak out today. Today, I had to keep a cool head. As I collected myself, Adrien squeezed the hand that he was holding. I looked at Adrien and gave him a weak smile. He grasped my hand even tighter at my expression. Adrien leaned forward to plant a kiss on my cheek. He remained close to my face after he kissed me to says, "I'm here, Marinette." The physical touch was enough to tell me that he supported me, but his reassurance was great to hear as well. 

With Adrien at my side, we made our way into the courthouse. If this were me from a few months ago, I wouldn be able to walk at this moment; Adrien would be dragging me across the floor into the building. I walked now, with my head held up high. The courtroom doors opened for me, and I took a deep breath to prepare myself for today. We took our seats near the front, and then the rest was a blur. I had to go onto the stand at one point to answer questions and show off my scar. Adrien went up after me to recount what he saw. The court showed a video of Adrien's reaction from a camera that was on my parent's porch. Adrien had to look away for the video. Adrien brought forward evidence of the abuse in the form of photos he took of me at school; he was looking out for me even when I was pushing his away. After the shortest deliberation, the jury found my parent's guilty. That part wasn't a blur at all. The tears that streamed down my face were so raw. I was finally free. 

Adrien and I left not long after hearing the verdict. We arrived back at his mansion. Although, when we walked in, all of the lights were off. I found it strange, but continued toward the grand stairs regardless. As I was about the take my first step up the stairs, the lights turned on and people screamed "surprise". I jumped slightly at the sheer volume of the people and also the fact that they were in the house and I hadn't realized. I turned toward the noise to see all of my classmate—minus Chloe and Lila, of course—standing in front of the dining room doors. 

I smiled widely at all of my friends being there. I stole a glance at Adrien who was smiling brightly down at me. I asked him in a lower voice, "Why'd you throw me a surprise party? It's not even my birthday." Yes, I was happy to have a party thrown for me, but I was scared I had forgotten a special event. 

Adrien put his hand on the small of my back to guide me slowly toward all of the people. He whispered in my ear as we walked, "You were robbed of your birthday a while ago, so I thought I'd give you a proper birthday party." 

This made me blush and smile even harder. The party was probably the second most fun day of my life—visiting the London Eye being the first most fun. We ate food, opened a few little gifts, played some new party games, and even had birthday cake. I was laughing and smiling the entire time. I thanked people as they left the house. 

"Bye, Alya," I said as she made her way out of the door. "It was good to see you again."

Alya pulled me into a bear hug. I couldn't breathe for a minute, but I was happy to have such a great friend that it didn't matter. "I love you, girl. And don't you ever forget it."

After she was gone, it was just me and Adrien. He and I had had a long day and decided to go to our room. We hug-walked up the stairs to the landing before Adrien pulled me into a kiss. We held one another on the platform for a few minutes before Adrien broke apart only to lift me up bridal style. 

"Now, it's time for me to see your birthday suit," he alluded with a cheeky smirk on his face. 

I laughed as he carried me up the stairs. He is a playboy after all.