Chapter 8: New Beginnings

"Kocho," Shinobu looked up to see Tomioka standing before her. It was the day before the final battle and Shinobu decided to spend it outside in the sun for God knows if she'll ever see sunlight again. The grass felt soft under her feet as she listened to the wind chime that Kanae hung over the door many years ago. She sighed in contentment before looking up at him.

"Tomioka-san, you're blocking the sun." She said as she beckoned to the seat next to her on the veranda. He hesitated before sitting down next to her, and she cursed silently when he sat down so close to her. She felt his arm brush against hers and it took all she had to not panic at the sudden closeness.

"Tomioka-san. Haven't you heard of personal space?" He stayed silent and didn't move making Shinobu have mixed emotions. Her heart was fluttering even when her body was filled with poison. The wisteria had enveloped her body to the point where she couldn't smell anything without smelling a faint trace of it. She looked up towards the sky while closing her eyes in contentment, basking in the warmth. Neither of them said anything as they listened to the insects in her garden. 

"Don't die." It was a soft whisper, but Shinobu heard it. She opened her eyes and saw that he was staring at her rather than the sun with no expression on his face. He was already so close and just staring at her made her face turn pink. If he asked about it, Shinobu would have blamed the sun.

"You can't tell someone not to die. No one plans to die." Shinobu smiled while lying through her teeth. After all, there was no use for poison if it wasn't consumed. He stayed silent a little longer as she squirmed under his watchful gaze. She felt annoyed. She didn't want to spend her last day with someone watching over her like a hawk even if it was Tomioka.

"If you have anything to say, please just say it. Otherwise, stop looking at me it's uncomfortable." Shinobu said as she poked his arm in a way she knew got a rise out of him.

"I have something to tell you after the battle. Will you listen?" Tomioka spoke a little faster than normal. She blinked. Why couldn't he just say it now? Or maybe it was...

"My! Do you have a list of complaints? How courteous of you to wait to tell me until after." Shinobu clapped her hands in mock delight. It wasn't as if he was going to confess his love for her when he already rejected her all those years ago, and even if he did, she didn't want to hear it. She had already given up on her future for the sake of everyone's future, and if he professed his love for her, her resolve would be gone. She would bury herself in his arms and pretend that she wasn't going to die tomorrow. And knowing Tomioka, as tactless as he was, he would do everything he could to stop her from going. 

She needed to die so that everyone else can survive.

"Well Tomioka-san, if we both live, I'll listen to you and all of your complaints. Since it's probably a long list, I'll even buy you dinner. That's a promise ok?" She took his hand, which was much bigger than hers, and wrapped her pinky around his pinky. It was childish, but it was the last time she'll ever see him in the sun again. She looked at his face with a smile as she tried to memorize every last detail. His dark blue eyes. His shapely nose. His sharp jawline. Her hands lingered on his as she stood up. Even after all these years, he still enchanted her.

"Goodbye Tomioka-san!" She smiled at him, a genuine one because if it wasn't she would have cried. Her haori fluttered as she turned around and walked back inside without glancing back even once.

-

"Now for a speech from our valedictorian Shinobu Kocho. Shinobu Kocho will be leaving for America to work with Aoba Hashibira, a notable figure in botanical research, and will be pursuing a career in medicine." 

Shinobu smiled as she stood up gracefully from her seat under the jealous gaze from her peers. It had been a tough year with countless sleepless nights as she clawed her way up to first place. Her application was accepted and she even had a video conference with Hashibira who was on the other side of the world. She was so surprised to see someone with the same beautiful face as Inosuke. When she saw his face, she was relieved to see that wild beast of a boy managed to settle down. And in a week, she was going to be working with his descendant. What are the chances? Actually, what are the chances that she met almost everyone in the demon slayer corps?