NINETEEN

CHAPTER 19
COURAGE AND SACRIFICE

CHAPTER 19COURAGE AND SACRIFICE

DRAGGING herself out of the bed the next morning was harder than she imagined

Bex tossed the sheets off to the side. She didn't remember getting under the covers at all during the night, but somehow that happened. She was still in her clothes from yesterday too. A huff resonated from her lips as she padded over to the large window, yanking the curtains to the side. The sunlight hit her immediately and she squinted before looking down, just below her balcony. A group of Capitol citizens gathered together outside the Training Center. They all held up signs indicating which Victors they were rooting for. Bex's upper lip curled in disgust before shutting the curtains.

The TV in the main living area was almost blasting at full volume. Bex walked out of her bedroom and was instantly welcomed by Caesar's annoying laughter, along with his friend, Claudius Templesmith. Nico sat in front of the television with a bored expression. She looked at the projection with an arched brow before turning to her team. Some were already sat at the dining table. Johanna motioned for the blue-haired Avox to pour her more black coffee as her eyes met Bex's. With a scowl, she said, "Guess I was wrong about see you later. Where have you been?"

"Sleeping," Bex muttered, rubbing at her eyes. She slowly padded over to the spot across from Phoenix at the table. He sipped at a cup of tea gingerly. "I thought it was obvious."

"It was," Johanna quipped, stuffing a piece of French toast with purple syrup in her mouth. "Nico and I have been working together on our own."

Phoenix rolled his eyes as Nico turned off the TV and sat down at the other head of the table. The Capitol escort picked apart a berry tart and muttered, "With my help, as well."

"Details, details," she replied.

"The tributes are really strong this year, Bex. I remember some of them from Games even before mine." Nico explained when Bex looked over at him. She cut into her own plate of pancakes and plopped a piece in her mouth. "But I guess that's a given," he said while sipping his coffee, "they're all Victors."