FORTY-SIX

CHAPTER 46
NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT

CHAPTER 46NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT

IT didn't take long for Katniss to find out about Peeta's most recent interview with Caesar

IT didn't take long for Katniss to find out about Peeta's most recent interview with Caesar. Gale had ratted. Bex forgot that he attended at least every meeting, but he hid in the shadows of the room, only remarking when it was convenient. And now, Katniss was furious with both Plutarch and Coin. The Victors all understood that keeping the interview from her had good intentions, but they should've known that she would find out sooner or later.

In defiance, Katniss suggested – more like demanded – they film a propo showcasing the ruins of District Twelve. She wanted to show the Capitol and Peeta what had really happened, but she assumed Peeta was being kept in the dark. There's no way he could be calling for a ceasefire while knowing his entire home was destroyed.

They embarked on the mission early in the morning, but thankfully for Bex, she was left out of it. She had a different set of problems to work through right now, and after what happened during her visit to Seven, she no longer wanted to partake in propo missions. Her presence was useless anyway.

The kiss she shared with Finnick at the wedding was constantly hovering in her mind, making her fingertips tingle at the thought of him or have her remember how he tasted against her lips. It was electrifying. She hadn't felt this alive in months. And Finnick was certainly not going to let her forget it. Bex saw him almost all the time. He even proposed a change in his assigned chore and had himself moved to the kitchens with her.

In any other circumstance, Bex would've felt smothered. But that kiss had awoken something in her entire body, and she had never been happier to have Finnick closer. Almost as happy as Kai and Annie, who hadn't stopped smiling no matter how grim their environment was.

Bex had been putting food back into the pantry when she was cornered. There was only a single light hanging over her head, and even that wasn't bright enough for her to see. The staff had just finished preparing the spaghetti dinner for that evening, and Bex was now placing the boxes of extra pasta on the metal racks in the pantry. She heard the door creak from over her shoulder, but paid it no mind. Placing the last box up on the highest shelf, she turned with a gasp.