FORTY-ONE

CHAPTER 41
GET IT ON CAMERA

CHAPTER 41GET IT ON CAMERA

IT was starting to become a pattern for her to slip out of Finnick's arms in the dead of night

Bex managed to head back to her room before anyone woke – before even he woke – and changed into a clean jumpsuit. She had serious bedhead from the night prior, and it took a few tugs of her hairbrush to hide the evidence. She allowed her mind to wander, picturing how her hair would've looked if they had done more than just sleep –

Not the time, she reminded herself. Not yet.

Grabbing the stamping tool on her desk, Bex pressed it into her skin and read off her schedule for today. It was all the same – evening shift in the kitchen, serving dinner – except for the new bullet point listed at the top. She was to report to a meeting in President Coin's board room that morning. No sleeping in for her today.

Scrunching her brows together, Bex headed out and took the elevator to the top floor. She walked across the beam, dragging her fingers against the railing, which led to the entrance of Coin's board room. Colonel Boggs waited by the doors and held one open for her. She sent him a tight smile and entered the meeting, taking in all the Victors that were already seated.

Katniss sat between Plutarch and Coin, looking fairly uncomfortable in an armored black outfit and smokey eye makeup. Her hair was wrapped in that famous braid, and a black tiara that looked fairly similar to the Victor crown sat on the top of her head. She had to be wearing the Mockingjay outfit from Cinna's old sketches, the ones Phoenix had shown her.

Phoenix, on the other hand, sat with Effie Trinket and looked like he was trying to tune her out as she argued with Haymitch Abernathy on the other side of the table. Beetee and Johanna leaned in their chairs near the head of the table, and Bex approached a seat beside them.

But not before someone else nudged her through the doorway.

Bex almost stumbled as Finnick smiled at her. She swallowed hard, wondering if he was angry with her for leaving, but he simply pulled a chair open for her and sat down. Her lips tugged and she plopped down into the seat.