_.|Chapter Nine|._

GIF by @/sandergifs on tumblr!

-

"Oh Gosh, is she all right?" He asked. Virgil dug through his shirt mic drawer underneath the control panel, connecting it to a switch and tested it, patting it lightly, and adjusted the volume.

"She'll be fine, Eric is taking care of her." Reese assured, pushing up her switch for her final cue of the scene.

"This mic is up and running, don't you dare turn it off." Virgil said, cupping it in his left hand. There was a bang in the hole in the wall from the shoot. Virgil threw up the flap and grabbed the headset.

"This is Logan's headset, press the big button to speak. I'll put it on channel zero for you." Virgil said, twisting the ear dial. Patton stared at him, dumbfounded.

"Pause, what is happening? Why do I have Logan's headset and why am I being ordered around with a new microphone?" He asked. Virgil wrapped the headset gently around Patton's neck and slapped the microphone into his palm.

"Jesse's understudy is the only cast member not here right now because she has the flu. Jesse threw up out of nervousness, and the only other person who can go on for her is the one person who has taken note of every vocal cue for the past two months and knows the songs by heart. And you'll be surprised gladly, so, when Logan sits in the chair pretending to be Jesse, throw the microphone at him and I'll get the cue that it's on him from Andre to turn it on an for Reese to put the lights up. There's only ten lines left in the scene, so please, hurry." Virgil explained quickly. Patton stood there surprising, deciding not to question a word Virgil said to him. He ran out of the booth and down the aisle, meeting Andre who sat crossing off notes and doodling in the margins of Patton's notes.

"You got the order?" He asked. Patton nodded, holing up the mic."

"I'm going back there right now, Logan's getting ready but I don't think he'll be in costume until the act finale. Remember to toss it to him, he'll catch it. Trust me." Andre said quickly. Patton took his original seat back and nodded as Andre ran back out into the student hallway. Patton situated himself in his set, ignoring the person sitting next to him. He looked up at the stage as the master level went down and darkness consumed the room.

His eyes adjusted to the light as he watched Logan pull sets out in his black shirt and jeans strongly with his crew quickly. He then found himself staring at his somewhat muscles from months of working on the stage as he slammed the fake bottle of alcohol on the wooden table in front of him. Logan then sat in the chair, slouched over, staring at Patton, who raised up the microphone. Logan held out his hands and Patton threw the microphone. He attached it to his shirt and gave a thumbs up to stage right. Andre got the message.

"Lights up, microphone on. He's ready." He assured.

"Let's see how this goes." Nick said with sarcasm.

"He'll be fine." Remy assured.

"I've never heard him sing before." Tess added

"No one has, center your spot on him and pay attention!" Leilani ordered.

"Damn Leilani." Reese said as Virgil held up his hand up for a high five. She slapped it back excitedly.

"It's been too long Lord Daniel." Logan said, the entire theater fell silent. The looseness in his tone was so foreign to all that knew him. Patton looked up from his notes in awe, shocked at the voice he heard.

"It's actually count. Count Daniel." Roman said, taking the seat on the opposite side of the table closer to the curtain on stage right.

"You can't count on me right now... L-Count." Logan said, taking in the audience's degrading laughter at the pun with as much grogginess as Jesse would have in that moment if she were on stage.