Reconciliation

Nic's head throbbed and she felt like her blood had been pumped full of lead. She moved and started to try sitting up and a hand lightly touched her shoulder. Her eyes flew open as she grabbed the wrist attached to the hand on her. Her head started spinning and she realized it was Brice.

Brice lightly pushed her back to the ground, "Nic... Just relax... Please?" Nic's eyes were locked full on Brice.

She didn't know what to say. Her words were lodged in her throat. She didn't know how long she waited for the vertigo to pass and while Brice checked the knife wounds.

His soft dark green eyes met her bright green ones, "Would you like to sit up now?" All she could manage was a slight nod. He gently took her hand and helped her sit up.

She snapped her head up away from him, abruptly changing her focus of attention. Ben looked around, "There's a nearby running stream, fresh water... Could be fun."

Amber smiled and started moving, Eli stayed near to help her follow Ben and Kale followed to keep an eye on the three. Star kept his eyes locked on Brice and Nic. Nic wouldn't look at either of them, the three didn't attempt to follow yet.

Star looked at Brice almost in shock, "You trust her?! She's a savage, a beast that follows around her Master blindly."

Nic felt the sting of his words to the point where she actually winced. Brice felt the instinct to defend her building inside him. Her looked from Nic to Star, "Star. Don't talk about her like that." There was a resonate seriousness that rang in his voice.

Star crossed his arms, "Why not? She mows it's true. She fractured Amber's ankle and threatened to carry her back to her master and the labs. Then she attempted to break my arm. Remember that time when you had the run in with me and Buck?" A feral snarl escaped her lips and she glared at Star, "Almost as memorable as Brice stabbing your side and scaring you off."

Brice looked at her, "I wish I hadn't... I wouldn't have... Not if I'd known..." She started to move and she shifted into her wolf form.

Star stood, "So, what about your master..." She shook her head, "You aren't serving her now?" She shook her head, "So, you won't be that same person I always saw... Back at the labs, getting into fights and staying glued to the witch." She shook her head and her paw lightly nudged his leg.

She caught the scent left by Kale, Eli, Ben and Amber, then followed it. Star and Brice followed her, "Sorry I said all that stuff about you... I was upset..." Star was close to her head and still talked to her, she turned her head and licked his hand almost like saying that she understood.

Before long they caught up to the others and she actually nudged Star to the edge before she gave him a shove from behind with her paws. He fell in and Amber burst into laughter as he glared at Nic. Nic's long tongue flopped out of her mouth like she was a kid taunting him. He chuckled, "I'll cut that thing out." It quickly vanished in her mouth before she turned to walk away.

She slowly walked over to Brice, he sat leaning with his back against a tree. She gently pawed at his arm until his hand came out of his coat pocket and she pressed her cold, wet nose to his hand. He looked at her and he moved his hand to pet her. She nuzzled her head against his hand and licked his wrist.

He smiled slightly, "Nicolette... I missed you so much... I thought you were dead." She whined a little and she looked like she was miserable. His smile dropped slightly and he lightly touched the fur at her neck, "What's wrong..." She shivered slightly at the touch and she changed to her human form again.

He lightly touched her cheek, "Nic... You've not said anything this whole time... To me or anyone else." She sighed and hugged him tightly.

She spoke softly, "I know. But I don't know what to say."

"Just talk with me Nic. You know I never got over you. I never thought I'd be able to love someone like I really love you." He lightly kissed her forehead.

"I couldn't get over you either. Not ever Brice. Not for anything." She slowly sat up and looked at him.

He lightly touched her neck and started to lean towards her. The moment before his lips touched hers they were hit with water. She stiffened and there was a playful growl that escaped her throat.

She shook out her hair and dropped her cloak before she tackled Star back into the water, both of them falling in. Kale sat beside him, "So... You have Nic back."

"Yes... Mostly. She's very different... But I still love her." Brice smiled slightly.

Kale just nodded, "Okay... Sara wasn't happy... You know she wasn't."

"Yes. I know." Brice sighed.