Chapter 8

VIII

LA CIGALE

It's seven o'clock in the morning when I open my eyes to look at my phone. The sun blinds me.

Neither I nor the girls thought of closing the curtain before going to bed. I open a message from my mother.

From Mom ♡:
What about your hearing? I was surprised
not to hear from you last night.

I didn't think to warn her that it was a day off. I answer her and her message arrives not long after.

From Mom ♡:
OK. Keep me posted.
Say hi to girls and Matt. Kisses.

Well, at least she seems to care a little about what interests me. I don't feel super great today. Is it the imminence of the audition or our meeting last night that created this knot in my stomach? Or it's simply the hints of the many pints I have ingested. Brides of my dreams of this night come back to me. I'm almost ashamed of it. Barely two months that I'm single, and I already have the hormones going crazy. My two roommates are still sleeping perfectly.

I'm texting Ellie to find out if she's awake. She answers me in the minute.

From Ellie 👯‍♀️:
Yes. Can we meet in the hall?
I need a cig'.

I put on my jacket, pants and boots and find my best friend at the hotel reception. I also take the opportunity to smoke too.

"Slept well?"

"I didn't see anything..."

"Not fantasized too much about your meeting with Emerson?"

Ok... Does she read my mind?

"Absolutely not! I don't know what you're talking about!"

She knows me too well to know that I'm lying to avoid her intrusive questions.

"Okay, keep your secrets for yourself..."

The morning freshness makes me feel good. I take a deep breath while trying to clear my head from the stress that grips me since I woke up.

"You seem a thousand times more anxious than yesterday" Point out Ellie to me between two drags.

"Yeah, it's crazy... What will it be like once there..."

"Well, once there, we will literally decompose."

I look at her with big round eyes.

"We can count on you to cheer people up!" I said ironically

"Well, you forget that normally it's me who stresses and you who reassures!"

"Yeah well you will come back later for comfort, I feel nauseous so much I'm afraid to go on stage..."

"We will at least have to be good so as not to make Maxine and Carole regret having invested so much into the band..."

"Yes, you're right!"

We smile again and re-enter the hotel once Ellie has finished her cigarette.

"See, you're not that bad in the role of one who reassures!"