Chapter Ten

Sam's POV

I turned back to Harry. Yes, he was sober.

"Why shouldn't I leave" I said. He raked his hands throught his curls, for once, looking at the floor.

"What were you doing outside a club last night?" he said, walking closer to me.

"I was running away" I said bluntly

"Did someone hurt you?" he growled

"No, and even if someone did I can take care of myself"

"So what were you running from then, Sammy?"

"Nothing to concern you" I said, reaching for the door handle.

"But I am concerned" he said, walking closer still to me "I did risk my neck to save you"

I looked up at him, he was inches from me, his eyes smouldering.

"I didn't ask you to pull me out the water"

"What do you mean?"

"I don't mean anything. Now I need to get back"

"Back where" he muttered to me. I took a step away from him. I didn't actually know the answer to that question.

"Why do you have to ask so many questions?"

"Because I want to know the answer to them"

"Fine. But then you have to answer mine. Honestly" I said

"Very well. What were you running from?"

"Guilt. And shock" I said. He registered my answer, looking at me carefully to see if I was lying.

"Why do you live like this?" I asked.

His brows furrowed "What do you mean like this?"

"There are no photos or colour or anything for that matter" I said, looking around at the blank walls.

He sighed. "I have to live like this" he said "If I did put up all those pictures and photos, I would have to be reminded of who I truly am" he said "I'm broken, Sammy, And you can't fix me. No one can" he whispered, meaning every word. "I don't know why I'm even tell you any of this."

"You can't fix something that is determined to remain broken" I said. And he looked up, taking in my words as a hurt look flashed across his face.

"Goodbye" I whispered. I left quickly, and he didn't follow.

*

I walked towards the place that only yesterday I was running away from. I took a deep breath and knocked on Michael's door. I heard bustling within, and for some reason my heart was pounding.

Michael opened the door, and on seeing me his face fell into a look of pure relief.

"Sam" he said in a choked voice. He looked like he was about to cry.

"Mikey, I'm sorry. I overreacted" I said. I couldn't quite bring myself to look at him. When I did, I saw dark circles under his eyes and he was pale

"Sam, where have you been" he choked out

"I'm okay, Mikey, I promise"

He took in my lack of shoes and his eyes widened.

"You weren't mugged were you!?" He asked with a worried look.

"No of course not" I said.

"Look, Sam, I'm sorry I kissed you, I didn't mean it-"

"Mikey, Its okay" I leaned in and hugged him.

*

It was late, and I lay on Michael's sofa. I could not quite bring myself to sleep in his bed. I hugged the warm duvet to my chest. There was a soft tap at the front door. Who could that be? I rubbed my stinging eyes and pushed the duvet off. The house was dark and silent, except for the soft dripping of the tap and loud snores which were coming from Calum's room. I padded in bare feet towards the front door. There was no one there except a small shoe box. That lay on the door mat. I opened the door further to look around but there was still no one there. I leaned down, picking up the box.

On the top of the shoe box, quickly scribbled in black marker was 'Sammy'.

I opened the box, and inside under white tissue paper was a brand new pair of sleek black Converse shoes.