Chapter Two

The man was still staring at me. Did he ever stop? I pulled my wrist from his grip and dug around in the wet pocket of my jeans for my car keys. They weren’t there.

 Fuck. Why.

They must have fallen out while I was…well. I turned to the man. He was still staring at me, gripping his lip ring between his teeth. His green eyes bore into mine and I felt myself blushing under his intense gaze. I pushed my dark, sopping hair behind my ears.

 I could get a bus? But I didn’t have any money. I could ring one of my friends, maybe Michael?  But I didn’t want him driving all the way here. There was no way I was ringing any of my family. And then I realised it was pointless anyway, my phone had been with my keys. The man still had his eyes locked on my face.

“Are you gonna get in the car or not?” he said roughly, and I glared at his rude tone, but I nodded. I guess I shouldn’t get in a car with a stranger, especially one that had been nothing but rude to me, but what choice did I have? He did mean well when he dragged me from the water.

I opened the passenger side door of his car and got in. He got into the car not looking at me, for once. He started the engine and I watched him, his green eyes fixed on the road. I watched his knuckles whiten as his hands tighten around the steering wheel, his inked arms tense.

“What are you staring at?” he said, breaking the silence

“Nothing” I said and continued staring out the window

“Where do you live” he asked, his tone almost grumpy, and still not taking his eyes off the road.

I thought about where I live and shivered at the thought of getting home. I told him my address.

“Are you cold?” he asked unexpectedly. Obviously.  I scoffed and didn’t reply. I had just been pulled out of the freezing sea for god’s sake.

We sat in silence for a while, and I continued to stare out of the window, occasionally stealing glances at the man next me who saved my life. After a few minutes, the man broke the silence.

“And how the fuck did you manage to fall into the sea in the first place?” he said

My breath hitched. I didn’t want to bring anyone else into this, all I wanted was to open the car door and jump out, away from this man with the piercing gaze.

“I-I don’t remember.” I lie. He sighed and pulled over to the side of the road in front of my house. I looked out the window towards my front yard and away from his stare.

“You couldn’t have forgot, it was like 50 minutes ago” he whispered angrily and I could feel his gaze strong on my back.

I dared to turn and look at him, and his eyes were ablaze, he knew I was lying.

“Thanks for the lift” I mumbled and I opened the car door my cheeks scarlet. Why was I such a bad liar?

I hurried towards the house. I heard a car door slam and steps coming towards me. He stood behind me, and I didn’t turn to look at him.

“How did you fall in the sea?” he whispered so quietly it scared me. I dared not turn around. I was afraid of him. Why was I afraid of him?

I turned to look at him. A couple of loose curls hung over his eyes, but they shone through.

“I told you, can’t remember” I repeated, and before he could reply I ran towards my front door, leaving the man standing by my front gate.