13. Missing

Harry was upstairs and ready in just half an hour after finishing his breakfast. He couldn't wait to get back downstairs. Serena met him at the door with a smile.

"I see you're ready in record time," she commented with a chuckle. "Eager?"

"Yes. Very much," he said with sincere enthusiasm. "I'm ready to learn how to do everything I can about magic and make new friends."

"I'm sure you won't have any problem doing either of those things. You're a smart boy."

Harry blushed. He was intelligent, but he wasn't a progidy or anything. Sometimes Serena made him feel like he was, like he could do anything, and he would forever be grateful to her for that. She draped her arm around Harry's shoulders and urged him forward.

"Let's go, kid."

"Are we taking the car?"

Serena laughed as they headed out the door. "No. We're going to travel a little differently this time."

Once outside, she rushed him to the back of the house. She didn't want to take the chance that they might be seen. They didn't stop until they were completely shielded by the house. She stopped abruptly then, nearly causing Harry to run into her, and took out her wand. She whirled around to face him.

"This time we're going to use a little magic."

His face lit up. Serena hardly ever used magic. "Really?"

"Yes. Now hang on to my hand. Tightly." He slipped his hand into hers. She made sure she had a good grip on him. "Whatever you do, Harry, don't let go."

"I won't."

Serena made sure she held onto him tightly, then she and Harry disapparated together. They shortly reappeared in the back alleyway of some place Harry didn't recognize. He took his hand out of Serena's.

"Where are we?"

"This place is called The Leaky Cauldron. It's a pub. We're going to go in the front and then straight to the back when we get inside." She knelled down in front of him, making her eyes level with hers. "Listen, Harry. Do you remember the story about your parents?"

A sadness came over him and she instantly regretted asking him the question. "How could I forget?"

"Well I'm not the only one who knows it. There are many others. Everyone is going to know you. There's not one person in the world where we're going that doesn't know your name." She touched his lightning shaped scar. They had many conversations about that scar over the years. "Everyone is going to know what this scar means."

Harry cocked his head to the side curiously. "What exactly does it mean? You told me the story about my parents, but you never explained the scar."

"I didn't, did I?" She bit her lower lip. They really didn't have time for an explanation, but she knew there was no getting around it. "It's where Voldemort tried to kill you. Being touched by a dark curse leaves a mark. Yours just happens to be in the shape of a lightning bolt." Serena took a deep breath. "Enough about that. I just don't want you to be surprised if a stranger comes up to you and seems to know everything about you. Okay?"

Harry nodded to show that he understood. Serena then led him to the entrance of the pub and opened the door for him. The two of them had barely crossed the threshold when the whole establishment suddenly became silent. She smiled proudly as Harry's eyes searched apprehensively around the room. Everyone was looking at him. They had stopped what they were doing and their conversations to gawk at him. He didn't like it at all. He watched as a woman came up to him and gave him a small bow.