Chapter 3: Yabbering

Nicole's POV
--

I stare ahead at the board, not trusting myself if I looked at him. The teacher only nods and goes back to what she was previously saying.

Next thing I know, the kid sits in the desk next to mine. Everyone is still staring at him, and he glances around.

"What? Is there something on my face?" He turns to me. "Is there something on my face?" His emerald eyes flicker with amusement. He is enjoying this. Snickers fill the room as the center of attention is directed back to the teacher. Why did he sit next to me? I'm at the back of the classroom and there are so many other seats yet to be filled.

"So. What are we doing?" The boy, Dallas, leans towards me, still watching the teacher.

"Um... " It takes me a second to respond as I think about how close he is. "Taking notes about the lesson." I say, my voice coming out as a whisper. I have no idea how he hears me, but he nods and begins writing.

Several glances shoot our way, making me sink in my seat. This is who Chloe and Ruby were talking about. I'm certain of it.

"I'm Dallas. Who are you?" He suddenly asks me, resting his intense emerald eyes on me. They pin me down, making me unable to move and it takes me a few minutes to recover. A blush creeps into my cheeks as I realize I was staring.

"I'm Nicole." I say, quickly tearing my gaze from his. He grins and nods, showing off his adorable dimples. Adorable? What?

"Pleasure to meet ya, Nicole." He says, bobbing his head. I like the way my name tastes on his lips. Hearing him say it sends shivers of excitement down my spine. Where is this coming from?

--

At Lunch, I sit at one of the empty tables, bringing my lunch up onto the table. I have a sandwich, salami, a bag of Fritos, and a Capri Sun. Good lunch.

Everyone avoids my table, going off to sit with their friends. Ha. I don't have any. Besides Mrs. Desiree.

That's when the Hero and Sidekick sidle over, sneers plastered onto their perfect faces. Chloe and Ruby. The devil and the demon spawn.

They sit at my table, each on one side of me. I stare down at my sandwich, it suddenly becoming interesting.

"I heard you met him." Chloe growls."

"And he sat next to you," snarls Ruby. Their eyes glint with malevolence.

"Don't look at me. You should ask him." I grumble.

"She speaks!" Chloe says shrilly. "You better watch it, girl. Things don't end up well when I don't get what I want. " She grins at me and her and Ruby stand up. With a flick of their heads, they walk away.

A few minutes later, another unexpected visitor sits at my table. I look up to see emerald green eyes staring down at me. A grin is on Dallas's face as he starts talking about our English assignment. I stare at him.

"Why are you sitting here?" I blurt, immediately feeling rude. I blush and look down at my food. "Sorry. No one ever sits with me."

"Well, I'm here to change that, Nic!" He leans towards me, his eyes suddenly growing wide. "Can I call you that?"

I smile sheepishly, fiddling with the straw of my Capri sun. I'm suddenly very aware of my sloppy appearance. My hair is a mess and my make-up isn't the smoothest.

"Sure." He breaks into a full smile, his teeth perfectly straight and he literally lights up the room. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, something that startles me deeply. That's when I notice we are the center of attention, AGAIN. My eyes fall back to my sandwich as hundreds of eyes stare with disapproving looks. The whispers fire up again.