crime

rob and sam. sfw, mentions of previous affairs. word count: 1010.

~

every day is the same. a repeating choreograph number that goes no where, if you will. whether the shift was from six in the morning to six at night, or vice versa, rob listens to his co-worker discuss two things: his sensitive wife, or his sensual side women. being a friend, he did not mind an occasional rant so he can get his thoughts cleared up; but it seems all he seems to do is target charlotte as the main problem, and talk badly of her and her character. he was not very comfortable hearing about the random females, sometimes younger than charlotte herself, he gets with quite often. he does not try to question him, until today.

the duo was driving back to the station with a suspect in the backseat, who was thought to be one of the people to be robbing different stores around hatchetfield. "yeah, i think zoey has to be the one. she's feisty, ya'know? a challenge, always wanting something different yet keeps it the same," said sam, as he smirked with pride. he sat in the passenger seat, scrolling through his phone that might have been facebook or a similar app. rob's disgust was thankfully behind his sunglasses, but he heard the one in the back scoff quietly in a similar reaction. it was not unknown to the citizens of the town that sam messed around while being a married man; it's easier for him to get what he wants for he does not wear his ring anymore, all oblivious girls under the impression a man in uniform is genuinely interested in them.

"how old is zoey again?" asked rob, as he kept his eyes on the road, and slowly stopped at a red light. he had to do the math. "she's in her twenties. twenty-one, i think, perfect age for a nice body and lots of fun," he replied back and clicked his phone screen off, most likely hiding what he was doing. the numbers were found, and he began to question his co-worker's morals greatly. "sam... you're forty. think about it, you can be her father," he said after a few moments of silence ticked by. the person in their custody made a gag noise, to which sam told them to shut up and looked at him.

"so? she's legal and doesn't care. ya got a stick up your ass or something? you've heard me talk about zoey plenty of times," he was getting irritated, it is easy to tell. he has some anger issues that both rob and doug have told him he needs to deal with by going to a therapist, but he doesn't believe in them. in his world, therapists are nothing but con artists that give flimsy advice and create sickly pill addictions. "well, it's wrong. you have a wife, who only has a five year age gap with you, yet you choose to get with young adults. i mean- YOUNG adults. if you don't like charlotte, why not get a divorce already?"

sam groaned at his question, as if he told him more than enough times why he hasn't done so - hint, he never did. "the bitch won't let go! she's like a leech, constantly contacting me and trying to get me to go places. god, i've tried encouraging the idea, but all she does is whine and whine and whine. it pisses me off! she even said i should pay for most of the fee since i "work in a higher paying job". she's psychotic, man," he said with pure hate, burning into rob's brain like venom as he processed it. he tried to think of how it actually went down, and if charlotte really did react in a selfish way. from what he can remember, doug has talked to her about certain topics before, this divorce being one of them; they told him charlotte reacted like how anyone would if their spouse said they were splitting, she cried. however she agreed, knowing the relationship didn't make either of them happy, and did suggest him paying for the majority due to only having an office job. hell, in a matter of seconds, he could tell he was exaggerating.

"listen," started rob with a sigh. "i'm not trying to get involved in your relationship, but you need to cut the shit. you're the one that has been cheating for, what, four years? and she's only slipped and slept with a friend once, and you call her a slut time and time again? that's fucked. can't you see she has tried to fix your pathetic marriage? it's the only reason why she wants you to go with her to the councilor, she has hope. but after all this you've pulled i can't ever imagine how she dealt with it for so long. sam, just get the damn divorce papers and leave the woman so both of you stop feeling miserable." he didn't mean to attack him like that, but he was exhausted. sam's skull is thick, and he probably won't listen to him, despite being his closest friend. by the time he finished his quick rant they were pulling into the station.

sam stayed silent, the only response rob could find was his aggravated face, which was good enough. he left the driver's seat and opened the back door, pulling the suspect out then walked with them inside. they glanced back to see if sam would follow, and when they saw he got out of the car and stood there, they looked at the one gently pushing them in front of him. "he screwed my mom once," they said as the two walked through the doors, earning a confused noise from rob since it was out of the blue. "he's a sicko, i feel bad for his wife." they added, somehow forgetting they needed to be questioned; rob didn't respond to this, he already got his anger out briefly and didn't want to keep going.

he hoped the rest of 2018 sam and charlotte spend the time filing out the documents to split apart.