photograph

howard. sfw. word count: 670.

~

blackness. bleakness. too fucking dark to use a camera, that's for sure. as much as it is an honor to physically serve for his country, howard being told he needs to jump into a portal into another universe and find some god that controls the global crisis was... stressful. to make matters more complicated, he had to snap photos of certain oddities he discovered in order to document it for peip researchers. what were they going to use these pictures for? he doesn't know, even after asking.

listening to the soft, low static in his ear piece, he scanned all around him, nothing catching his eye - in fact, he can't tell if he already spared a glance in one area or not. the overwhelming vast emptiness, sooner or later, made howard cold and nauseous. this is going to get exhausting fast, he thought to himself as he decided to turn his attention down onto the camera he was given. in small text, there was peip written above the display, and the rest of the usual functions and buttons along the side of the screen.

"guess i'll just..." he mumbled, pressing the option to turn on flash and raising the camera up in front of him. hesitantly, he clicked the button that snaps whatever could be in frame, and tried his best to keep his hands still; nothing developed on the screen, much to his relief. to be completely honest, howard was hoping he did not find anything lurking in the darkness, but this would be crushed as he began to hear hushed whispers. huh, that doesn't sound good. he glanced around quick, trying to identify where it was coming from, and concluded it had been heard from underneath.

shifting his legs out of the way and positioning the camera angle below him, he repeated his action on taking a photo. a strike of anxiety crashed down into him like a lightning bolt as he saw a strange creature on his screen, gazing up at him with an eerie smile and pure white eyes that reminded him of stars. as soon as the picture was taken, howard began to kick his legs in hopes this would help him float away to an actual platform. when he was told he'd go talk to an inter-dimensional demon, he did not have any form of assumption he'd see... aliens? aliens.

"what the fuck? what the fuck?!" he found his voice, shouting with all his might the same three words. his earpiece was only giving him feedback, as if mcnamara had been trying to speak to him but nothing coherent came in. the radiowaves were overlapping. "what the fuck are those things?" he whispered to himself when he found a footing, appearing as a crazy chicken for how often he snapped his head in all directions. the whispers, the shuffles, and the giggles coming from all over would surely drive him insane.

howard, while shaking terribly, held his camera up once more, holding his breath as he took another picture. regret, a lot of regret followed after doing this. popping up on the screen was the one and only wiggly, just like how the doll appeared as; however, at the same time, it was no where near what the toy looked like. this sea monster is large, larger than any building on planet earth, and the texture of his exterior was closer to how a squid's skin is. no fur, unless you count the parts near his eyes and torso - or what he thought was his torso.

his tentacles were much longer, more wrinkled than what most theorized, and his eyes had been closed in the picture. sadly, wiggly woke up to the sudden flash, the blinding iris replicating a spotlight directly on howard and putting him on the stop. he did not speak, he did not make a noise. instead, the president heard a more human-like voice call out to him, using his nickname to create more fear within the already panicked howard. man, fuck black friday.